Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Warwick 2014 Entry

Hi everyone,

Thought I'd get the ball rolling. I'm waking up thinking about this, I'm borderline freaking out about the UKCAT and I cannot believe I'm going to be doing UCAS again....

Anyone else?

FL

You need to calm down about the UKCAT, as a key part of success is being relaxed so your thoughts can flow.

I would get one of the books and get practice the hell out of it, so you are familiar with the form/nature/question style.

If you have your GCSE level maths down tight, and you put the work in you can prep in a week. However if your basic maths is a bit iffy, a bit more time on that, so it's instinctively recalled can really help you.

Then use the down load able practice tests to get the feel of using the computer down.

Be ruthless on timing.
    a) If you know you can answer the question fast, Do it.
    b) If you think you can do it, if you had a bit more time, leave it and come back at the end, assuming you have the time. (I believe you can still flag a question to come back to)
    c) If you think its not a qustion you can answer with time, just guess and move on, quickly.

Then at the end go back an do the questions left, which you think you can answer in the time remaining and guess the rest. But be sure to have at least put a guess in. With the ones you flag to come back to, it may be worth putting a guess in, in till you can come back to do properly, just in case you don't get a chance to come back.
    SGUL GEP (P - Year) - That's a 3rd of 4 years, but 4th of 5...
    "All that we see, or seem, is but a dream within a dream..."
    E.A.Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Martigan View Post
    You need to calm down about the UKCAT, as a key part of success is being relaxed so your thoughts can flow.

I would get one of the books and get practice the hell out of it, so you are familiar with the form/nature/question style.

If you have your GCSE level maths down tight, and you put the work in you can prep in a week. However if your basic maths is a bit iffy, a bit more time on that, so it's instinctively recalled can really help you.

Then use the down load able practice tests to get the feel of using the computer down.

Be ruthless on timing.
    a) If you know you can answer the question fast, Do it.
    b) If you think you can do it, if you had a bit more time, leave it and come back at the end, assuming you have the time. (I believe you can still flag a question to come back to)
    c) If you think its not a qustion you can answer with time, just guess and move on, quickly.

Then at the end go back an do the questions left, which you think you can answer in the time remaining and guess the rest. But be sure to have at least put a guess in. With the ones you flag to come back to, it may be worth putting a guess in, in till you can come back to do properly, just in case you don't get a chance to come back.
    Thank you for your considered advice, Martigan. It's much appreciated. It's mainly AR that's worrying me as it is not coming naturally at all.

I have bought some books and I'm thinking of signing up for Medify closer to the time. There's a bit of added stress in that I'm moving to Japan in 4 weeks until September.

Is anyone going to the open day on Feb 4th?

FL I had the same concerns as you regarding AR. This year I did so much better in UKCAT than last year however my AR score remained exactly the same at 630! I highly recommend Medify for practice, I did feel like I understood AR much more this time round, but I ended up with the same score anyway. I would not worry too much in that section so long as you can get a decent score (>600) in that one, concentrate on getting high marks in the rest.

Are you also going to be sitting gamsat? I recommend considering it as you will have plenty of time to practice/revise between now and September, then you can spread your bets

Warwick GEP 2013-2017!

"Eye of a hawk, the heart of a lion, and the hands of a lady"

Thanks, snakefisch.

Yeah I'm considering the gamsat and planning on applying to Nottingham with it (not St George's as I can't really afford to stay in London and two London choices seems a bit silly with that in mind).

Warwick is definitely my first choice. Am I right in understanding that its UKCAT requirements are a bit lower than other places I'm considering, namely Newcastle and Kings?

ha, I'm such a noob.

It's quite good Warwick is your first choice as it also offers the best odds of a place imo. They have the most places of any GEM course and as you said their ukcat requirements are not so high. This year scores around 690 were invited to interview, but they still place significant value on the rest of your application and not just the ukcat, I think it is a matter of putting across in your PS that you tick their boxes. Kings this year seemed to be 730+ and Newcastle about 725.

Yeah I think it's a good idea putting Nottingham too as they also offer quite a few places, I hedged my bets in the first year and put one gamsat course and I think that's quite a good way to do it especially if you don't have a score already.
    Did you sit the UKCAT this year already? I ask as your score usually increases quite a lot after you've already done it once.

I think as Martigan says just try not to sweat it too much. Also try and get your hands on either the kaplan material if you can get it very cheap or buy that "score higher in the ukcat" book as I think their material is great too and probably a bit more realistic than Medify, although I think that is very good practice too. Also I really recommend you brush up on quick maths skills and using short cuts to work out answers in that section, it may seem obvious but doing * 0.3 to work out 30% or something etc. I think that is the easiest section and it is possible to get full marks in it you just need to be quick, so that can help bring up your average.

Warwick GEP 2013-2017!

I think it's way too early to be thinking about the UKCAT - couple of weeks prep over the summer is more than enough. I know AR seems daunting at first, but if you do a lot of practice questions it becomes a bit easier
    "Just when I think God couldn't screw me any further, he gets out the old Black & Decker and twists a little harder!" - Becker MD

Warwick medical student

Thanks for the reassurance about the UKCAT- good to know. Would you say there's a score above which (save for something glaring like a criminal conviction!) you're guaranteed to be interviewed? This will be my first time at the UKCAT, hopefully last. Does anyone have any experience of taking the UKCAT overseas?

I am planning to take the GAMSAT in September. The first two sections don't really worry me but the science is making me anxious. Just got to get to it, I guess!

Yes I reckon this is above 750. I used to think over 700 would guarantee but apparently not this year!
    lcsurfer on here took it overseas and did have some issues

Warwick GEP 2013-2017!

Here is the GMC's report of Warwick Medical School
    Some of it is incredibly dull, most of it is irrelevant, but hopefully some of you might find it interesting!

On the point of what UKCAT score will guarantee an interview, i'm not sure it's as clear cut as that. The higher the better, but i'm not sure they would invite someone solely because they achieved a high score. People that i've asked in my year have UKCATs ranging from 680-800+.

From the GMC's report:
    The School uses an assessment centre for student selection with an initial
    screening based on first degree class, UKCAT score and personal statement
    - Warwick 2016 -
    3rd year

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast