Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

UEA Interview Scenario

Example of MB/BS interview scenarios from the UEA website:

One of your tutorial group has not attended any of the teaching sessions for a week. Members of the group have tried to make contact on the phone but have not been able to get through. There is no reply to text messages that you have sent. You decide to call round to your friend's flat (I'll name this friend 'Sam') where you find them staring at a blank television screen.

What are you going to do?

What I've come up with but I have no idea whether or not I'm on the right track. :
    Questions/observations I will raise:
    a) Is the friend known to have a past history of depression/mental disorder
    b) Look at circumstances surronding the friend in the previous week. (e.g. loss of a family member, or personal relationship breakdown).
    c) Sam has not picked up the phone/replied to text messages so it may be reasonable to conclude that s/he does not want to talk to anyone.
    **Here's where I'm lost. But this is what I would have done:**
    d) Not approach Sam, but stand close enough so Sam can hear, and reassure him/her that I'm available at all times and to not hesitate to contact me. Sit and wait quietly for a while and see if Sam reacts in anyway.
    e) If there's no reaction, then I'd call a charitable helpline to ask for advice (that's what they're there for! I'd not take something I am not qualified to handle into my own hands.)
    f) Support other friends who could be affected by Sam's situation.
    g) Reorganise work load in the tutorial group so compensate for what Sam did not do.
    h) If Sam does need professional help, then I'd follow up on Sam's situation and collect school/Uni work. etc for him/her for when he/she returns.

I soooo hope I'm on the right track here! My interview is coming up real soon :S

Sorry, forgot to add at the end:

What are your views on this? How would you have answered this question?

I think these scenarios are to test your reasoning skills and how you approach problems. This is quite an individual thing so I think presenting ideas like you have written down is excellent, especially d). I had the same question (amongst others) in 2006 and got the impression you need to be a supportive and empathetic listener. To put things in perspective, mental health amongst medical students is a particular challenge to universities as we have modified health seeking behaviour i.e. we present late, and we have a tough course (emotionally and physically) I would also suggest that you can only assist within your expertise and seeking tutor support is very reasonable.

I hope you interview goes well and try to relax.
    There were quite a few other qu's I can remember if any help?

Quote Originally Posted by apugrad View Post
    I think these scenarios are to test your reasoning skills and how you approach problems. This is quite an individual thing so I think presenting ideas like you have written down is excellent, especially d). I had the same question (amongst others) in 2006 and got the impression you need to be a supportive and empathetic listener. To put things in perspective, mental health amongst medical students is a particular challenge to universities as we have modified health seeking behaviour i.e. we present late, and we have a tough course (emotionally and physically) I would also suggest that you can only assist within your expertise and seeking tutor support is very reasonable.

I hope you interview goes well and try to relax.
    Hi,

I think this scenario is part of 3. A caring and supportive attitude towards peers (Scenario 2) (UEA Medicine website). So I would assume they're looking for an answer that demonstrates these kind of personal qualities rather than approaching it as a problem solving exercise. That was my impression anyhow.

My interview is coming up very soon too which I was shocked about because I thought they didn't interview until January.

Apugrad - I would be incredibly grateful if you could let us know some of the questions you can remember. I can see that there's interview question books available, but I don't know if these cover the sort of interview format UEA uses. Any help or guidance would be really gratefully appreciated!

Heya jmc2010, is there anything you would have added/changed to what I've written already?
    And hope our interviews go well!

I'd personally think about cutting it down rather then adding to it! You've got loads of stuff there. I think your latter points are the most important; emphasising your support in various ways, respecting their privacy while balancing that with offering your support, seeking outside help etc. Just to show that you will be a kind, sympathetic, supportive member of your peer group.

What kind of resources are you using to prepare? Just their website? What day's your interview? Mine's the 18th.

Good luck to us both, I'm sooo nervous already!
    Last edited by jmc2010; 01-12-2009 at 10:19 PM.

I've been using the UEA website, BBC News and forums on this website. My interview will be on the 7th Dec :S
    I'm really nervous as well... I'm scared that a completely unexpected question might come up in the beginning of the interview which will haunt me right until the end.

I really want to go to UEA... so fingers crossed!

HeyI've been invited up to interview in December and have been trying to do some prep around my studies but am really worried about UEA's system does anyone have any examples of like questions that theyve asked before?
    Cheers

Smile uea interview

Quote Originally Posted by apugrad View Post
    I think these scenarios are to test your reasoning skills and how you approach problems. This is quite an individual thing so I think presenting ideas like you have written down is excellent, especially d). I had the same question (amongst others) in 2006 and got the impression you need to be a supportive and empathetic listener. I hope you interview goes well and try to relax.
    hiya , i have a uea interview coming up this month and i appreciate that your interview was a few years ago but if you can still give me a few tips/remember questions , i would really appreciate it
    many thanks

Hiya guys,
    The whole point of the OSCE style interview is to get your real opinions, not something you've practised! I wouldn't worry so much about these kind of questions, but more about the ABSOLUTE BEASTS like, why you should be let into UEA, what your greatest achievement so far in life has been, an example of teamwork and your role etc.

Jess
    "In nothing do men more nearly approach the gods than in giving health to men" - Cicero

"Medicine is the only profession that labours incessantly to destroy the reason for its own existence." - James Bryce

Second Year Medic UEA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast