Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

your ukcat is in top 7% of everyone who took it so HYMS would look at you twice. They want an AS level at grade b (AABb)-there is around a 35% chance of getting in and they interview around 600 people (nearly 1/2 of applicants)
    Manch only need AAB -more people apply there but they take more. they interview around 1200 (35%) and a 23% chance of getting in.
    I nearly applied to HYMS but wouldn't want to spend 5 years in Hull and no way of knowing if you'd get there or York (I was stuck on to 5 and needed a reason!)

Quote Originally Posted by conorcd View Post
    your ukcat is in top 7% of everyone who took it so HYMS would look at you twice. They want an AS level at grade b (AABb)-there is around a 35% chance of getting in and they interview around 600 people (nearly 1/2 of applicants)
    Manch only need AAB -more people apply there but they take more. they interview around 1200 (35%) and a 23% chance of getting in.
    I nearly applied to HYMS but wouldn't want to spend 5 years in Hull and no way of knowing if you'd get there or York (I was stuck on to 5 and needed a reason!)
    Oh sweet where do you get those stats from?
    And I've not really heard much about Hull and York, why wouldn't you want to stay there? Hmm so I've got to decide, a better chance of getting in or a better city. Is York a good place then? And would they tell you which one they've put you in when they give offers or once you start?

Oh and I meant the UKCAT stats btw, the other ones are on med schools online i think.

I have a pile of books (from amazon-I'm not rich). There is a post on here with the link showing what your score means compared to everyone else.
    Apparently you can say you'd refer Hull or York to live in but they don't guarantee it. York is lovely but not sure about nightlife. Hull apparently has great student nightclub so I might be wrong about it. (I've only driven through it to be honest). For me, another problem with hyms was the extra As. I really messed up my Maths AS (my pastoral tutor is head of maths so she reminds me of this a lot-I dropped maths when I was meant to end up with A*)

Hey

I got a pretty decent UKCAT score too, 715 average, and im using liverpool (based at lancaster) as like my "backup". I know you cant really have backups or whatever but its the most likely place of getting in for me as i live in the area that they encourage applicants from. Plus i really like Lancaster. I was gonna apply to HYMS but really dont like the idea of going to Hull either, so chose Leeds instead

I'm exactly the same with N/c and I'm applying to Manchester, leeds and Southampton through a scheme that N/C have ( they are linked to some other unis and they can all offer reduced offers if you match certain extenuating circumstances). 715 is excellent for UKCAT. the link for ukcat % is
    UKCAT score distibutions info

anything over 700 is a fantastic score, so well done. id definitely take advantage of it by applying to sheffield, and any other ukcat-heavy unis. its a shame that newcastle/durham/kings want AAA because otherwise you'd stand a good chance there i think.

manchester like the ukcat especially for determining who they interview, but they do like good GCSEs from what i know. manchester is very much worth a punt imo because with a score of 700 they'd probably interview you, and i've heard that around 70% of interviewees are given an offer (can somebody back this up for me?). manc also prefer achieved A level grades so you have this in your favour.
    Winstanley College, Wigan 2007-2009
    1st Year Manchester Medic

I was told manch interview top 850 or so ukcat scores and give offers to around 550-600 so end up with around 340 med students- so that is around 70% ( but obviously that is based on last couple of years statistics

Hey guys, thanks for all the help/advice that you've given. I VERY nearly applied to Manchester but decided to apply to Hull-York instead; because they also put a lot of emphasis on UKCAT and also the competition is less fierce than manchester.
    The reason why I'm not taking risks this year is because after being rejected last year I'm just concentrating on getting a place this year so I'm putting my % chance of getting an offer before the city/location etc.
    I think Hull-Yorl and Manc use UKCAT in a similar way as if Hull-York are going to reject you based on your PS, but your UKCAT is in the top 25% of applicants, then they give you a second chance
    I know that people have said that Hull isn't a very good place to study but it's my fourth choice anyway so hopefully I'll get a place somewhere else too
    Thanks again, where are you lot applying to??

You have to apply where you have most chance and only around a third of the number who apply to manch, apply to hyms so a good chance. I would have picked it probably if I hadn't messed up my AS maths (they want the AS at B I think). In the Insiders Guide To Medicine, they say very good things about Hull-the students who go there, love it so it's not a problem if you end up there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast