Thread: Hhheeelllppp!!!

Unhappy Hhheeelllppp!!!

I bought a book about UKCAT with some practice questions; they looked daunting but when I got stuck in I found them methodical and ok. Then I took the online test and totally f-ed it up! Apart from the fact you can't mark it as it is, you have to write down the answers then mark it yourself, I can't see how I could do so badly!

I know I'm smart cause of my AS grades, but I'm sure I'm going to fail UKCAT if it's like that. Do they make it harder so you work for it, or do unis not care so much about your actual score?

Please help! I want to get into a good uni and my UKCAT is in less than two weeks! Are there any people who have already taken this year's test who have been through the same thing?

(btw, i got an average of 510. unis say they want 600 at least!)

Which book is it? Don't worry too much - on my first practice test I got much lower than that *blush* but people often find that UKCAT practice questions are harder than the real thing (but what do i know?) I have the '600 UKCAT questions' which I will be digging into. Just practice and get used to the format - my UKCAT is in August, I booked it for the 1st of july originally, then looked at some questions - Panic!

Hi

I took the UKCAT last year and my score was 600 I thought the test was just as hard on the day as all the practice books and websites. Quantitative was always my worst section in practice, on the day I briefly read the question if I thought I could answer it very quickly without too much time I would, if not I randomly selected an answer on the day I got 720 (higher than all the times I had tried to work the questions out in time) so thats pretty much my plan if I retry.

Out the four universitys I got rejected by kings pretty much straight away (due to my low ukcat result) Barts - no interview and no reply for feed back, Warrick (Low ukcat) Leicestershire interview and waiting list followed by rejection.

Too be honest this time if I dont get over 700 I cannot see the point in applying sadly.

mature student
    Adv Dip Adult nursing
    Bsc health science 1.1

Quote Originally Posted by screamapillar View Post
    I bought a book about UKCAT with some practice questions; they looked daunting but when I got stuck in I found them methodical and ok. Then I took the online test and totally f-ed it up! Apart from the fact you can't mark it as it is, you have to write down the answers then mark it yourself, I can't see how I could do so badly!

I know I'm smart cause of my AS grades, but I'm sure I'm going to fail UKCAT if it's like that. Do they make it harder so you work for it, or do unis not care so much about your actual score?

Please help! I want to get into a good uni and my UKCAT is in less than two weeks! Are there any people who have already taken this year's test who have been through the same thing?

(btw, i got an average of 510. unis say they want 600 at least!)
    Well, it depends..

on the university.... 4 A's at AS well you should be getting interviews

I heard some unis score the UKCAT, take the top 1000, some have a cut off score.

So southampton, barts, leicester,kings, newcastle may have a lot to do with UKCAT ..

Just apply to the unis that like your AS grades

510 is pretty low- but no worries your application can be better in other ways.

Its so much harder than like two years ago? They are becoming so specific that nowadays- you apply to a certain uni if you have good UKCAT, or top grades or amazing personal statement

The UKCAT test is important but it's a psychometric test. You have to revise for it like american college students have been for decades. Follow the advice that I gave under the forum 'desperate help needed.' Also, I would buy the pink covered book 'Preparing for the UKCAT' it's got some really good advice on how to prepare.

Don't worry, I found UKCAT preparation really hard as well.
    Glasgow Medic 2009

Applications:
    Glasgow: offer with interview
    Hull York Medical School: offer with interview
    Manchester: offer with interview
    KCL: rejection w/o interview

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]International Baccleaureate: 37 points
    UKCAT: average of 630