Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

TMG

UKCAT or BMAT that is the question.

I've started to research the unis my GCSEs are eligible for in terms of style of teaching (PBL etc),the assessment process,location etc AND now also have the dilemma of sitting just the UKCAT (so just choosing the unis that use that as criteria) or the BMAT too.Would I be a glutton for punishment sitting both??!!Do you think it's a good idea to decide which one you'd rather sit and then applied this to their decision of which unis to choose.I suppose I am asking what are the pros and cons of the UKCAT and BMAT from people that have sat both.The essay section of the BMAT looks pretty scary (have NO experience of critical essay writing WHATSOEVER so should I avoid it?)

My GCSE results meet the academic criteria for 18 unis but of the 18 there is a mixed bag of UKCAT and BMAT.HELP!!

I say take both. it's what i did and they arent timed simultaneously (indeed picking a nice far away ukcat date saves you money too) so you dont end up revising for both at the same time - there's really no need to cut down your options. And, if you take the UKCAT early, it can be before the deadline can't it? (i forget) but if so good to let you know, then tailor your choices accordingly..

as for the essay, critical argument structure is one way many sources say to do it, but not the only way, i got 15/15 with barely a shred of medical input and little of the "other side" of the argument...
    Fresher medic*, doesn't know any medicine. Slight issue.

*Now 2nd Year.
    Stands.

I would definately select your universities based upon whether you like them rather than the entrance exams that they have! Saying that, if you really don't think you could do well in the BMAT, stick with the UKCAT, it's far easier! I didn't so any prior work for the UKCAT except the practice questions on their website and still came out with an average score that was in the 700's. I was really worried about the BMAT, especially the essay section which I also had no experience in! I ended up with under half-marks in that final section, but had put some work into the other two, and have got an interview at Imperial next week.
    I would strongly recommend you pick the universities based on themselves though, not if they require the UKCAT of BMAT.
    Imperial First Year

I took both, it's pretty common too.

All I will say is for the love of God don't pick more than 2 (at the very very most) unis that require the BMAT, or else you're screwed.
    الله أكبر

I think the essay part of BMAT doesn't really matter when it comes to the admissions process, most of the universities emphasise more on Section one and two, the third section(i think)is only there to boost up your total score. Regarding singrah's comment, i think it's always safe to stick to ''arguing both sides'' if you don't read as much as singrah does. To be frank, my English sucks as an international student but i managed to score 7.5 for the essay part, which is half of the total, and presumably good enough for most universities, not stunning though. I could hardly read books normally, with not more than 3 books read in my entire life(books that are outside the curriculum, i do surf the net btw)

I wouldn't say UKCAT is easier than BMAT, in fact, it's no easier than BMAT as most people would be scoring like hell in UKCAT(for example, 650+) so it might be quite hard for you to really amaze the admissions tutor with your UKCAT score. BMAT is a different story, good students normally score significantly higher than those who aren't that good, in other words, it distinguishes you from the others better if you're good.(from my opinion). However, not applying to any BMAT universities just because of the entrance test is a really wrong act. BMAT shouldn't scare you off at all.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your application.
    Bristol 2008 Fresher!

Reading isn't necessarily what you need - it helps with the literarly skills but is a very slow way of getting about it.

I just think that an original answer, that you really want to argue rather than just following the ideas and structure of some interview prep book or forum will probably come across and better and may well gain more marks...

And re 3 books - that's shocked me. Not in a bad way, just that i didnt realise anyone read that little... i've got to have read in the 1000s by now. Then again you see this statistics where adults havent picked one up in 20 years and so on...

*Now 2nd Year.
    Stands.

TMG
    Thanks guys.Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by >Freak< View Post
    I think the essay part of BMAT doesn't really matter when it comes to the admissions process, most of the universities emphasise more on Section one and two, the third section(i think)is only there to boost up your total score. Regarding singrah's comment, i think it's always safe to stick to ''arguing both sides'' if you don't read as much as singrah does. To be frank, my English sucks as an international student but i managed to score 7.5 for the essay part, which is half of the total, and presumably good enough for most universities, not stunning though. I could hardly read books normally, with not more than 3 books read in my entire life(books that are outside the curriculum, i do surf the net btw)

I wouldn't say UKCAT is easier than BMAT, in fact, it's no easier than BMAT as most people would be scoring like hell in UKCAT(for example, 650+) so it might be quite hard for you to really amaze the admissions tutor with your UKCAT score. BMAT is a different story, good students normally score significantly higher than those who aren't that good, in other words, it distinguishes you from the others better if you're good.(from my opinion). However, not applying to any BMAT universities just because of the entrance test is a really wrong act. BMAT shouldn't scare you off at all.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your application.
    If you applied to UCL, it matters A LOT. Trust me.
    الله أكبر

Ooh fair point i hadn't thought of that. Half my IV was on the essay (and i didnt defend myself particularly well...)

*Now 2nd Year.
    Stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Singh.Simran View Post
    Ooh fair point i hadn't thought of that. Half my IV was on the essay (and i didnt defend myself particularly well...)
    The bizarre questions I got asked (and my confused incoherent answers back) about my BMAT essay is the reason I got rejected (said so in my feedback ... well not in those words but you know what I mean!).
    الله أكبر

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast