Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

notes to help with UKCAT

heys everyone,

Arghhh I dunno what to do about UKCAT!! It's so not right!!!
    I dunno how to study for it and I am sure I will fail it if I dont do any preparations.
    so, could someone please advice on what books might be helpful to prepare for the UKCAT test. so far I've got a couple of books from library and they are very good and helpful however it's only for verbal reasoning ..

any ideas how to go about the other sections... decision analysis ... I kinda now know how to do abstract reasoning but not too sure if I have got to the conclusion from the right premises .. ie do u know of a book that would teach u the methods (rather than just practse qs) I know u cant study for it but it is better to have a good understanding b4 u go for the test. at least u would feel confident when u go in for the test.

anything is appreciated
    thanx

Might help!?

I recently bought the book 'passing the UK clinical aptitude test and BMAT'. I don't think it's too helpful with the verbal reasoning section or the quantative resasoning bit, but it seems to be quiet good for the other two sections that you can prepare for (abstract reasoning and decision analysis).

it has lots of example questions and a comprehensive section explaining the rationale behind the correct answer. The only thing i am unsure of is the difficulty level of the questions. I took the ukcat last year and from what i remember the questions seemed a lot harder than in this book.

But if its the reasioning you want then it may be of some use.

seema_amlani
    Hello there! I'm trying to prepare for this exam too and I'm totally stuck...it feels so wrong going into the exam without much practice... if you don't mind me asking what are the verbal reasoning books that you found useful?
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Maria87 View Post
    heys everyone,

Arghhh I dunno what to do about UKCAT!! It's so not right!!!
    I dunno how to study for it and I am sure I will fail it if I dont do any preparations.
    so, could someone please advice on what books might be helpful to prepare for the UKCAT test. so far I've got a couple of books from library and they are very good and helpful however it's only for verbal reasoning ..

any ideas how to go about the other sections... decision analysis ... I kinda now know how to do abstract reasoning but not too sure if I have got to the conclusion from the right premises .. ie do u know of a book that would teach u the methods (rather than just practse qs) I know u cant study for it but it is better to have a good understanding b4 u go for the test. at least u would feel confident when u go in for the test.

anything is appreciated
    thanx

[QUOTE if you don't mind me asking what are the verbal reasoning books that you found useful?
    Cheers[/QUOTE]

Heys, the books I got were from a list of useful books for the BMAT test but I thought it might as well be helpful for the UKCAT.

so you can try Thinking skills books

Thinking Skills by Butterworth, John & Thwaites, Geoff (2005) ISBN: 0521521491 Publisher: Cambridge University Press
    Critical Thinking: A Concise Guide by Kemp, Gary & Bowell, Tracy (2005) ISBN: 0415343135 Publisher: Routledge
    Critical Reasoning: A Practical Introduction by Thomson, Anne (2001) ISBN: 0415241200 Publisher: Routledge
    Critical Thinking for Students by Van Den Brink-Budgen, Roy (Edition 2000) ISBN: 1857036344 Publisher: How to Books Ltd
    Thinking from A to Z by Warburton, Nigel (2nd Edition) ISBN: 0415222818 Publisher: Routledge

I hope it is useful

Smile Verbal Reasoning Text

I've got hold of a book titled '101 passages in MCAT verbal reasoning'

Seems really good for the verbal reasoning section of the UKCAT. I had troubles finding anything that was of the right difficulty level to mimic the UKCAT, everything was either far too simple or far too wordy.

publishers are 'osote publishing'

Hope this helps,

Craig
    Last edited by ab0cjh; 17-06-2007 at 01:08 AM.

I thought the UKCAT & BMAT book was not great, excepting the abstract reasoning section...Were the questions actual past test questions?! In that case, I am worried! I actually sat down together with some friends, all of whom are PhD students in various subjects and definitely capable of problem-solving. However, even when we didn't set a time limit and carefully went through each verbal passage about ten times, whilst thinking about the answers, we still disagreed with many of the ones in the book...So I'm not sure about this! In the maths section, if you followed the advice on how to do the questions in the book, you'd probably take about 5 min per question instead of 30 seconds. The book basically just works through answers - never gives you any hints on how best to approach the whole exam. In short, it was a waste of money for me!

Smile Re:

I don't know about the problem solving questions. it's so difficult to judge whether or not the questions are similar to the actual UKCAT.

As for the abstract reasoning questions, they look pretty similar at frist glance, the format was the same at least. As for the difficulty, who can tell.

I think you can prepare for the exam but not in the respect that you can find similar questions or past papers.

Sorry i can't be more helpful,

Craig
    00-05 University of Bath - Civil & Architectural Engineering 1:1
    08-12 University of Warwick - Medicine

Heys,
    I've found this website with some downloadable Abstract Reasoning Qs which I think were not too bad but I dunno if the books are helpful .. anyone tried those books .. If yes are they good to use? Do u recommend them?
    here is a link to it

http://www.psychometric-success.com/acatalog/index.html

ukcat has a book?

i dont get it..
    where did you all actually get the book? bought it online? i find that the greatest difficulty is keeping up with the time.. and that makes the question look harder as you do not have the time to think staight. if there is a book for the ukcat exam please let me know the title of the book to make the search easier
    thanks

Smile UKCAT Book

Hi,

There is a book, but I'm not sure exactly how helpful it is.

Go to Amazon.co.uk they have it. I think it's about 15.00

'Passing the uk clinical aptitude test and BMAT'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_...keywords=ukcat

if the link above doens't work then just type ukcat into the search engine. It's top of the search list.

Hope that helps,

Craig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast