Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Medicine: too hard to get into without AAA grades

In the upper sixth group at our school, five people, including myself would like to get into medicine but all of which have at least recieved a rejection for a uni that they have grades well above the minimum requirements. The amount of applicants this year is said to shoot up as this is preceding the introduction of top-up fees. WHY US?!!!!!! :twisted:

This topic of top up fees has come up a few times, i dont think that it has such a great influence on the number of people applying. My reason for saying this is that once you qualify as a doctor, paying off any loans wont be a great chore. OK, having to pay more than someone in a year infront of you sounds unfair, but one on my mates did pharmacy as a three years degree and another had to do a 4 year degree for pharmacy, so in theory he lost out on a year of wages, therefore I dont see why the introduction of top up fees would increase the number of people applying.

If you ask yourself, you where given the opportunity to study medicine at a Uni, but had to pay top up fees, and you wanted to do medicine and nothing else, would top up fees stop you? I guess if that was me, nothing could stop me, mind you that really depends on your inividual motivation!

As far as grades go, having AAA predictions or more, doesnt really guarantee you a place. The majority of people who apply usually have that, so what makes you stand out, is your personal experiences, work experiences, showing the university that you are a well rounded person, not just a grade monster! At the end of the day you can be the next einstein but have no people skills, and that wont really work if you wanna be a doctor working with people!

unless of course you want to be a doctor who wants to do research...

was talking to a Dr Unwin of the windsor sports clinic, who interviews for imperial; he said that they look for a certain number of "grade monsters" who confess their interest in a career in research as a doctor.

but those people are few and far between.

Quote Originally Posted by surahman
    My reason for saying this is that once you qualify as a doctor, paying off any loans wont be a great chore.
    I don't agree with this statement. Paying off loans of any description is bloody hard and the longer you leave them, the bigger they get. Yes doctors get well paid compared to most of the rest of society but it soon gets taken off you, especially if you live in the south. Some of my wifes friends are still 20K in debt more than 7 years after graduation.

Top up fees will hit university applications hard. While medicine is (IMHO) a special case, i'm not suprised there has been a record number of applications before they come in.

I can understand what you mean, but a student loan is by far the "best" sort of loan you will ever get in your life!

If you dont beileve me go ask a financial adviser!

As for paying it off, well that will just depend on the type of person you are, if you earn a decent wage, and still have nothing left at the end of the month, then you need to take a hard look at your in/out flow of money, nowadays it is too easy to get into dept, this is shown by the numerous "dept management" companies willing to help you, and by the fact that the UK consumers are falling into dept at around 1 million a minute! (check the BBC for that, maybe more or less) but nevertheless the UK consumer is upto their eyeballs in dept, due to stupid spending, I know cause I used to be one of them!

Anyways, straying a little there, two students go to UNI, one studied medicine, gets a job paying around 35-45 thousand a year, the other gets a job as a manager and gets 20-25 thousand a year, who do you think should find it easier to pay off 20 thousand?? I would say the doctor. Hence why I made my statement.

I have girl bits ok? :) Clarkey's Avatar
    Student loans are the best loans you can get interest wise, and yes medical students are in a better position than most. However from the perspective of a school leaver applying for medicine who had a choice between the current system and top up fees, most people i know would do what they could to avoid top up fees. I would bet there has been an increase in applications this year, and that is unfortnate for the people applying this year as it lessons the chances. Hopefully the most deserving candiates will come through.
    South Thames Deanery 2011-2013

Currently: Contemplating my next move

anyway going back to the original message !

i got less than AAA or what ever at a level i have to offers, so the answer to the question is no you dnt need AAA! :shock:

thats with firm grdes tho...with upper sixth the problem is is that these grades are predicted...so unis are probs unsure...whereas u have definatelygot the grade u got...even if it is ABB it is 100% u got those grades...i personally think that applying to med school with firm A levels is better than predictions...at least u no ur offer means ur going there

xXroshyXx

Moderator type bloke
    Referring back to the original question;

It's simple really. You and your 4 colleagues don't meet all the criteria that the medical school have set down for applicants. Alternatively, there are applicants better suited to that med school than you.

Sorry. Grades that are well above the minimum requirement (how you can get grades well above AAB is beyond me...) are not a guarantee of a medicine place. Get used to it.
    Mark
    Anaesthetic Registrar & Newcastle Graduate

currently im doing a course which means if i get good grades i can transfer into the medical school at leeds despite not quite getting the grades to do so directly. i will join them in the second year and not be disadvantaged as the course in the first year is identical to the first year at leeds. so in answer to the question you dont need AAB but it helps a lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast