Can i get in after 3 years of A levels?

Hi everyone,
    I am in my third year of sixth form as i decided to do my AS and A Levels again, as i got= Biology-C, Chemistry-C, History-D.
    I am interested in doing medicine, so i sent off letters to some places asking for information, and one lady got back to me and said that not many med schools will take people in their third year.
    Is this true? I am very confused as i did not know this before. thanks

Are you basically retaking your alevels in one year? If so, many med schools have strict policy on resit candidates, and some dont accept any at all. Its best to look at the individual med schools stance on resit applications.

I might be wrong, but from what I gather the majority of medical schools only accept resit candidates where extenuating circumstances meant that they were not performing to the best of their ability the first time round. Some medical schools (like Cardiff) say in their prospectus that this evidence should be documented also.

Was there anything, such as illness etc, that could have meant you didn't perform as you'd hoped the first time round? If so, you might have something to work with.

If not, and you are still dead keen on medicine, there are always other options, such as post-graduate entry, which may not be ideal, but are perhaps worth thinking about if it turns out you cannot get a place as an undergraduate.

Don't be discouraged from ringing up induvidual medical schools admissions and enquiring about your situation, as different schools may have different policies on resits.
    4th year medic @ University of Sheffield
    Vice-President of Sheffield MedSoc
    www.medsoc.net

I made a thread about this a while ago, do a search!

I've listed all the uni's i found that would accept resits.

Yes, I know, I'm good :roll:

Thanks a lot for all the advice. I am sure you all know the feeling, its starting to get very frustrating! I read your thread isaac, it was very interesting you have obviously gone to a lot of trouble to help. Its nice to know that other people are having the problems as me and that i am not alone!

Pia

Hello Pia,

Don't worry - I did 3 years of A-levels and I'm in my first few weeks of med school now.

As I've said before on previous posts, I didn't have any particular reason I did badly the first time but still got 4 interviews (and 4 offers). In my third year (last year) I also worked as an auxiliary nurse to get experience but have never done something really different like working with orphans in Africa or doing something else spectacular.

I think if you're prepared to do another whole year of A-levels, you're very dedicated!

I applied to HYMS, UEA, Durham and Leicester and Leicester was the only place that asked why I was resitting - the others didn't mention it.

Good luck! xXx