Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

English Language

I am an international student and i would like to study medicine in UK.
    I tried to sit IGCSE First Language English but i did't manage to get more than a C.
    Then i sat the IGCSE Second language English and i got a B.
    Do you thing this is enough for me.
    Will the un. accept me with a IGCSE Second language English at grade B?

Have you tried ringing up some universities and asking them?
    ~KitKat~

I came to the UK two years ago and just finished my GCSEs. I did English as my first language.....although it was really really difficult. Try to e-mail the universities you are interested and ask them. You may have some luck for that you are not living in the UK. Best wishes! :wink:

I dont really know anything about IGCSEs but make sure you have got an English qualification before you apply to any universities. The most recognised test is the IELTs test in which you have got to score a number 7 (some universities may require a higher score). If you prepare enough for it then it should be no problem.

Most universities say which qualification is necessary and what score/grade is required on their website.

Having passed IGCSE English Language at C or above is all the english qualification you need. It is a brittish exam (international GCSEs from cambridge examboard for anyone wondering) and u dont need to do any other extra test things.
    Or at least I know for a fact that i don't need to take any further extra tests to prove my english ability and im an international student too and i did IGCSE english language also.
    I do English literature and language at AS and A level also but in fact no one in my school needs to take any extra english exams even those that "only" have english to GCSE level. lol. :lol: somehow we always end up sounding like such snobs in AS/ A level English lit lang when we talk about GCSEs. sorry, not meant to sound patronising at all. oh well. :roll:

A B should be fine i think, i wouldn't bother retaking it a third time.
    Unless you are taking AS english or a lot of subjects where u write essays all the time i would say that it is unlikely that u'll improve dramatically the third time. And i would focus on getting the best possible AS grades / A level grades/ work experience/ volontary work instead. All of these will add much more to your application than one single GCSE could.
    But that's just what i think anyways.

Good luck w everything.

being completely nosey here... which part of Nicosia are you from?
    Joy
    x

F2 at QMC, Nottingham (Currently ED)

being completely nosey here... which part of Nicosia are you from?
    Joy
    x

F2 at QMC, Nottingham (Currently ED)

Actually there are 2 IGCSE English language the on is for those whose first language is english and the other for those whose 2nd language is English.
    Which one did you take FriedRice?

I live in Ag. Dometios

I took first language IGCSE english. so did everyone else in my school. We were forced to take that along w/ maths and doule sciences and english lit.

Some people did also do the 2nd lang IGCSE english, if i remember correctly. Or they took something called EAL (english as an additional language. that's what they called the subject enyways. dunno for sure if this is IGCSE english 2nd lang exam but sounds similar) But they then took 1st language english too.

A 2nd language english IGCSE english will probably not be enough so u'll have to take some other english exam if this is the only english exam you have. If u wanna do this then u can take acceptable ones at the British council.
    http://www.britishcouncil.org/cyprus
    Wow i have too much time on my hands.

Although if u do history at AS then i personally think that they should just understand that u CAN write english etc. so silly w/ all the extra exams and things they have for us internationals.

Cyprus is in the EU yeah? Lucky u, getting home fee status. sigh. i hope i will too. so expensive otherwise.

well good luck

Actually UCL accepts IGCSE English As a second language for all except for law.

International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE): English as a Second Language, Syllabus 0510

Standard level: Pass at grade C.
    Good level: Pass at grade C.
    Advanced level: Pass at grade B.

I have a B so that is advanced. and they ask advanced for medicine

----------
    A100 Medicine

Good (Advanced for GCSE, IGCSE, IB)

So if UCL can accept it then other universitys should also accept it.

anyway. Good luck to you too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast