23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Psychology

9 39.13%
  • German

14 60.87%

Thread: What to drop

Cat

What to drop

After my AS exams I am not sure what I should drop and what to contiue to A-level. I have done AS biology, chemistry, german and psychology but am not sure what to contiue with next year. I could carry on with all four but I am not sure what would be best.

I'm in a similar position, I've taken Chemistry Biology Maths and Music

I'd like to do all 4, but my school may make me drop, in which case it'll have to be music I think! (I need chem and bio, and I can't survive without maths!!)
    John

Mark:- Dr Carter, you seen Dr Weaver?
    Carter:- err usually she's everywhere

Up to you really, if you think you can carry on four it is quite possible as long as you are able to keep on top of the workload.
    Steven
    (Foundation House Officer, Dept of Orthopaedics & Trauma, University Hospital of North Tees)

It's probably better in terms of offers to get 3 A's than 4 C's, so be wary on taking on too much, although might be beneficial to have more A-levels than some other candidates.

If you decide to drop a subject, you should think about which subject you enjoy most and consider whether you would get better grades by taking German or Psychology. Do you have a tutor you could talk to about your options?

Laura x

It isn't really beneficial to have more A levels than other candidates... I only suggest it as a challenge if you have four subjects that you want to continue and know you can do well in.
    Steven
    (Foundation House Officer, Dept of Orthopaedics & Trauma, University Hospital of North Tees)

I am just doing my A-levels and everybody I know who is doing four have had all of their exams squahed into an impossibly short amount of time and are more stressed than everybody else! If you want to do all four work out if it is worth it, the unis don't care if you have got 3 or 4 A-levels.

I wouldn't let the exam timetabling put you off doing four A levels. Basically this depends on the subjects you take but obviously you will probaly have to do more actual exams with four.

I wouldn't bother doing four unless you don't want to give either up and know it won't affect your grades, the three AAB or whatever is important not the numbers.

Well if your going to drop one, personally I would go for German, because Psychology is drectly relevent to medicine and doing a German AS already shows this holy grail of "well roundedness". But it's all down to what you prefer really, if your anyting like me you will find it hard doing a subject you don't enjoy.

BTW, I accidentaly voted Psychology up on the poll, so... don't be confused
    "Radical means grasping things at the root!"
    - Angela Davis
    "Jugez un homme par ses questions plutôt que par ses réponses."
    - Voltaire

"We will abide by all we have written in our heart and in our word. Everything for everybody; nothing for ourselves!"
    - Subcommandante Marcos

I feel I should point out that psychology isn't really that useful for medicine (read: is completely useless ). However, so are most subjects really... it sounds like it should be useful, but you really do need to know bugger all about conformity, eye-witness testimony, attachment studies etc. I have a file full of notes from psychology about Stress, Abnormality, Attachment & Development and this is the only time I have opened it in the last two years!

Still, if you enjoy it it is a good an option as anything else.
    Steven