Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Medschool entry stats 2003

Ello ello,

Anyway, does anyone know where I can find some stats on how many applicants there were for each individual medical school in the UK 2003.

Tried looking for it on Google, but bah! I could type something as simple as 'Cat' in a search engine, the the results will yield some dumb stuff like 'Watermelon'.

Spank you!

Lickety
    Messy, messy, messy!

hello

ucas have a search thing which u can get those stats from www.ucas.ac.uk

also, the 'getting in2 medical school' book has some stats in the appendix

good luck

Kev
    I doubt the stats for 2003 have been compiled by UCAS yet. They usually come out in October I think.

Thanks anyway Imperialgimp.

Just checked it and they don't seem to have the stats there.

I'm just curious as to whether applicants go by reputation of medschools (although I'm sure each one is individually special), or whether people go by entry requirement needs i.e. the lower the grades/tarrif points the more subscriptions?

Lickety
    Messy, messy, messy!

Moderator type bloke
    I think there's a lot more to the apps process than those two factors!

Think about what factors you're considering/considered during the apps process. I bet there are a lot more than two of them!

I would imagine that the distribution of applications won't have changed much (but there are the new courses to consider as well!)
    Mark
    Anaesthetic Registrar & Newcastle Graduate

To be honest, the statistics tell you very little. As Mark says, there are many reasons why people choose particular medschools. When I applied, Oxbridge, on paper APPEARED to be the easiet medschools to get in with just 4 applicants per place. However, these stats do not tell you anything about the calibre of applicant.
    Joy
    x

F2 at QMC, Nottingham (Currently ED)

yes. v true.

Hmmm...
    Guess you're right.

I still wonder how ratios of people tick. when I applied for dentistry, I got for 2003, interviews for Leeds, Manchester, KCL and Barts. I thought I had a much better chance of getting into Leeds and Manu cos I just thought the London Unis were way too good for me.

What's more, I thought I flopped KCL cos the interview was HARD. They gave me some ethical situation to consider, a questionaire and everything and I thought- that's it! I've been rejected. But I got a con offer at the time. Manu And leeds rejected me even though I thought I did brill at the interviews.

So I suppose there's geographical reasons to consider, family preference to consider rather than 'I'm a straight A person, and allrounder, I can go where I want', and 'Oh, with the bare minimums, where's my best chances?'

I dunno, how do people tick, just to be as far possibly general as possible?

Lickety

P.S. I read that Oxbridge stat as well!
    Does that mean other Unis take 1 in 5 applicants on average?
    Messy, messy, messy!

some of the other applicant per place ratios are much higher... I know Notts was something like 15:1 a few years ago. Don't know what it is now. You also have to consider each applicant applies for 4 places.
    Joy
    x

F2 at QMC, Nottingham (Currently ED)

Currently jus below ya nose, macca (hehehe.... ;) )
    15:1?- thats totally fruitloop! :?

Figures do change from year to year as well. 2001 wuz a good year to apply, apparently...he :roll: and 1998 wuz a year of death, allegedly :cry: ......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast