Finding a part time medicine related job during Gap year.

Hi,

Unfortunately, today has been rather crap; I have just recieved three rejections! I also got one last month so now i am left with no more available med schools.

However, as i am taking a gap year, I will re-apply and hopefully i will get lucky the second time round. Although, I have already organised many trips for my gap year, i am currently looking for a part time job to help fund it.

I figured it would be ideal if i could do a job which would look good in my personal statement, yet at the same time earn me some money. I live in London, so if anyone was to give me advice or tell me where i could find a part time job in the medical field, that would be soo cool.

Also, does anyone know how the system works if they call you up for interview during a trip during your gap year (or for that matter has any advice for re-applying during gap years).
    S.

Would you not enjoy doing a job that is relevant to your interest in Medicine rather then just to look good in your application?

Hey Selene. I am in the same position as you. Four rejections and reapplying next year. What are you doing in your gap year?

Maybe you could get a job as a HCA, or a Bank Nurse or something like that. You can easily get jobs at residential homes helping out. I know lots of people who do that.

If you can't actually get a paid medical job, I suggest just getting bucket loads of experience and getting a job in a shop or restaurant etc. That is what I will probably do as I already have a secure job at Woolworths.

Good luck for the gap year, should be fun!!

Hi Stacey,

I agree with you. I would prefer to get a job in an area of medicine which does interest me (eg. genetics) . However, I think it will be hard enough to get any medicine related jobs and my other goal is to get money for my Gap year. I had to work hard just to earn work experience.

Hi ThunderCat8,

Cheers for the advice. Residential home does look good. For my gap year, i'll be going to Malaysia to do Kung-Fu with my club. Then in the winter, I'll be doing a ski course in Canada. Then I'll be off to Nepaul for a few months to do unpaid work in a nepalese government hospital (i look foward to them all). Although it is quite constructive, Parental funding can only go so far. What are you doing? Thanks alot have fun in ur gap year.

Hi to anyone who reads this forum,

Anyone, please feel free to tell me about getting payed jobs in hospitals, if possible. that'll be cool.
    S.

Its got Gap Year in its title so obviously I have to make a comment

Hey, Selene, sorry to hear about the rejections, but believe me a gap year is the way to go, I was in the same position last year...and I'm so glad I've taken one..

As for getting a job relating to medicine...yes its a bonus, but working full time anywhere is good, as its shows thats you have more life experience than the average A level school leaver (this isn't a dig for people who don't take Gap years...its just I'm much more mature and prepared to deal with my cash after working full time for a couple of months...than I was when I left school) which is a plus.

Oh yeah as for your last question, try to make sure your in the country lol! Either work up till March/April then travel afterwards...thats a good 5-6 months before uni....this is the safest bet....but falling that submit your application the first day UCAS opens its pearly white gates, to maximise your chance of being offered early interviews....or do as I did...which was after exams...do some travelling...come back around August time, then work from August to April, then do more travelling!