R

What about these Universities

Hello Everyone,

I would like to hear from anyone thats attending or knows about Imperial, Kings and Barts Medical Schools. I would appreciate both negative and postive info. I'm thinking of applying to them.

Thanks
    Reana

Luc
    I like your nic, "R"
    `->Luc<-`

- Imperial

Hi! Nice to here from someone thinking of applying to Imperial. Well a few weeks ago I posted this which may be of use:

Well here's my (slightly biased lol ) view of ICSM:

Imperial College School Of Medicine is a relatively new creation, formed in 1998. It was setup after the merger of some really good west London med schools so while it is kinda new it still has decades of experience in teaching, lecturers etc... When I was applying last year this point was cause for some concern cos many medics and some reports i read were quite negative of ICSM, but I think they've learnt from their mistakes. I liked it anyway . There's several commitees and lots of interaction between ICSM union, med school and students to improve things every year.

Imperial is quite a good uni in general, up there in the top 20 in most league tables (for whateva they're worth!). Its very work and science orientated so that could be a factor, altho I found it reasonably OK. Its in SW London so again may be a consideration altho 1st year halls are pretty good.

The course is 6 years cos we have to do a BSc in the 4th year. Depending on how you do in terms of exams etc... you choose a pathway to study in during the BSc 'Science Year'.

Its a well intergrated course with a mixture of lectures, small-group tutorials, PBL, anatomy (dissection and some use of prosection) and patient contact. Commonly in the 1st year I just had:
    - 2 days a week are rotations where you either have PBL, anatomy or patient contact
    - rest are lectures, tutorials and practicals (labs, IT, slides etc...)

A typical day is quite work orientated but I guess medicine is a tough little subject! Some days are all lectures (sometimes 3 morning, 3 afternoon with regular breaks and long lunch), some are OK with maybe a lecture then a practical in the morning and afternoon sessions. The rotation days have quite a few free mornings and afternoons which is good.

Patient contact seems to be quite important to many applicants to look for. Well at ICSM we have a Patient Contact Course (PCC) which involves 3 tutorials each followed by a placement. The tutorials are conducted by GPs, doctors etc... at there sites so you get to go around a few places in London which is nice! At the end of each term we submit an essay and presentations which are graded.

The amount of work we hand in is limited to a few essays and presentations, the rest is up to you whether you write up lectures etc.
    You do a mock at the beginning of Spring and Summer, and the actual exams in June (although two are done in Jan and April). The exams cover all the things you do in the year including communication skills and pateint contact. The 4 general areas are:

Paper1: Life Support Systems e.g. cardio, resp, urin, gastro
    Paper2: Molecules, Cells and Disease e.g. nucleic acids, cells, pathology
    Paper3: Life Cycle and Reulatory Systems e.g. endo, neuro
    Paper4: Foundations of Clinical Practice e.g. IT, PBL, stats, epid

The exams are compromise of Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs where you need 80% to pass) and Short Answer Questions (SAQs where you need 50% to pass).

Few! Sorry if this is a bit long, lol!

If I can be of any help to any of you please do get in touch!

Good luck
    PK xXx

R
    Thanks PK!

Could anyone tell me about the neighbourhood of Imperial, Kings and Barts. I'm not from the UK so I could really use some info/advice on their location in London.

Thanks,
    Reana

Reana, Barts has already been discussed http://www.medschoolguide.co.uk/foru...php?t=206]here

Imperial area

Well Imperial is in West London. In the first few years you spend most of your time in South Kensington which is a very nice area but a little expensive. South Ken has a lot of museums and embassies and is not really very student orientated. On the other hand there is a lot to see and do -you've got Hyde Park, Albert Hall, Science and Natural History Museums down the road! The other place is in Hammersmith which is a lot more 'relaxed'.

In clinical years the main hub of the med school is in Paddington which is quite like both South Ken and Hammersmith. The hospitals are scatted all over West London, and like most big cities, there's something for everyone!

There's a few pics of Imperial at www.freewebs.com/pkonline/Imperial.htm

Bye!
    PK xXx

Hi R,
    I'm currently a student a Kings and I have to say I love it there. Although I have to admit I'm not currently a medic (well applying this year) I've got to say I'm a dreaded Biomed, but its all run on the same campus and some intercalacted med courses are run with the Biomeds. I have to say I don't know that much about Barts to be honest and I don't know if this is just the rivalry talking but I've heard lots of bad things about Imperial. My boyfriend attended Imperial last year and found that even though the university is top notch and has very high standards, it falls behind on the social side of things. He consquently ended up dropping out and is now at Cambridge but you've just got to think about that side of the coin too. He personally had to work from about 6 in the morning til about 11 at night every night to stay on top of things, whereas now he's at Cambridge he finds he's doing just as well but has a bit of free time to relax and forget about work. Although I could complain and say that I find the medics at Kings party with the best of us!! You just need to find what suits you.
    On the geography of Kings, the med school is located at London Bridge so it's got tube and train. There are a couple of halls of residence down the road so you can roll out of bed at ten to nine!! also in other years old kent road is where the majority of medics end up getting digs because it's quite cheap and only about a 15 minute walk, an amazing thing to be able to have if you live in london!! The campus has Guys hospital behind it, kings college hospial, where some lectures may be is based in Camberwell, about 10 mins on the train. There is also a campus at waterloo and halls of residence there, which is either 15 mins on the bus or about a half hour walk. Hope it all goes well

Your right that Imperial is hard work and that its reputation of working you like a horse is justified, but from my experience that was only the case for the non-medics :wink: . For us medics, we have had very little to do which was mandatory. I also heard lots of bad things about Imperial when I applied (more than any other London med school), even to the point that during my St Georges interview the 'briefing' that some of their medics gave us was totally about badmouthing us :roll: , but none have come to fruition (yet! 8) ).

Just a quick point about other London med schools - UCL and Kings do seem like really good schools too.

Good luck!
    PK xXx

St. Barts and The Royal London School of Medicine
    I'm hopefully student prez next year fluff! External Affairs Officer this year however.
    Go Barts!

St. Barts and The Royal London School of Medicine
    Was impressed with the Dr Fuller response on the BBC website however - but BBC Online as it is, it was only ever going to turn into a Barts bashing replyfest after that.
    Go Barts!