Work Exp/Volunteering (Year 11)

I'm free all of August, so I was wondering if I could do some medical related (or not) work experience, or regular voluntary work. I hope to get some idea of what medicine is about, and see if it's the right course for me. What would you recommend? I'm in Year 11 now so I'll be 16 - isn't this too young? Also, when people talk about medical 'work experience', did you actually do anything? Since you're a minor wouldn't you just be stuck with filing, or simple observations? So what kind of work experience/voluntary work did you do, and how did you go about getting it? Would you say it was worthwhile?

Thanks for answering the influx of questions

I found that working in nurseries (especially for disabled kids) and nursing homes/hospices is the most valuable experience for that age (because you are most likely not going to get on the hospital wards at that age). I did this and really valued the experience and based this on my decision to look into medicine in more depth! Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by honey :)
    I found that working in nurseries (especially for disabled kids) and nursing homes/hospices is the most valuable experience for that age (because you are most likely not going to get on the hospital wards at that age). I did this and really valued the experience and based this on my decision to look into medicine in more depth! Hope that helps!
    That sounds worthwhile! How did you manage to get a placement? Did you have particular contacts, or did you just badger them until they let you?
    Graduate applicant 2013

Oxford GEP - offer - firm
    Cambridge GEP - offer - declined
    Barts GEP - interview 12/2/13 - withdrawn
    UCL 5-year - interview 30/1/13 - withdrawn

hey moony, am in the same boat as you - depending on where you live you can become a hca in some hospitals at 16. otherwise were a bit limited as to what we can do really!