Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Member LFC786's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    340

    simple work exp/voluntary work query

    in my ps i hav mentioned the wirk experience and voluntary work i did. however, how do the uni admission department know that ur not lying? hav u got to produce a certificate, signed document etc? can someone plese shed light on this matter. many thanks
    Sheffield: the UK's greenest, safest, friendliest city and representative at Venice Biennale. Check it out: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=7022511#post7022511

    “After the science which distinguishes between what is forbidden and what is permitted, I know of no science which is more noble than that of medicine.” - Imam Shafi’i

    YNWA




  2. #2
    rjm
    rjm is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    1,321
    No you just have to be honest. But I'm sure they can sense it somehow (maybe from what you write about what your learnt or something).
    And if they did find out you had lied on your application form it essentially makes your application null and void so I wouldnt advise it.
    BSc (2005), BM (2006), MRCPCH (2010)

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    118
    when i applied for 2005 entry no one asked me to produce a certificate or anything as proof - i assume the admission tutors assume that you are trustworthy and honest enough not to have lied.

    Having said that, those that do lie tend to often get found out at interview, unless they're an amazing liar!

    Hope that helps
    1st Year Leeds Medic

  4. #4
    rjm
    rjm is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    1,321
    I also reckon it probably comes up in your reference. When I applied to med school I was doing 4 1/2 "old-style" A-levels, 2 part time jobs and 3 hours a week of voluntary work plus other extracurricular activities. I'm sure my tutor wrote something about time-management, showing interest in medicine by organising WE etc etc. So if you reference is totally incongruent with your reference they will know you are talking complete bulls**t
    BSc (2005), BM (2006), MRCPCH (2010)

  5. #5
    Junior Member worshipdubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    67
    The basic reason medschools ask you to have done work experience / voluntary work is as a learning experience - it is not simply another hoop they make people jump through. If you fake your work exp / voluntary work, then you will not have learnt anything, and this will be pretty self-evident at the interview stage (if not in the Personal Statement itself)

  6. #6
    rjm
    rjm is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    1,321
    Quote Originally Posted by worshipdubya
    The basic reason medschools ask you to have done work experience / voluntary work is as a learning experience - it is not simply another hoop they make people jump through. If you fake your work exp / voluntary work, then you will not have learnt anything, and this will be pretty self-evident at the interview stage (if not in the Personal Statement itself)
    Yes and no!

    I agree that it is a learning experience for you, but it is essentially a hoop to jump through too as there is very little chance of you getting a place at med school if you havent done any.
    BSc (2005), BM (2006), MRCPCH (2010)

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    245
    if you are able to talk about what you did and learned from work exp then itll be clear to admissions. adversely, there are tales of people who made up work exp and were able to somehow describe what they liked about it and disliked. whilst i dont think any physical piece of evidence is required (admissions have enough to cope with without more documents) its clearly a bad idea to lie as you may have realisedm, had you done w/e that medicine just isnt for you.
    Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.

  8. #8
    Super Duper Moderator Tangliss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    11,047
    I was asked loads of in depth questions regarding my work experience at my interveiws, and to be honest, if I had lied, there would be no way I would have been able to answer half the questions. The best thing to do is tell the truth and you will be fine.


    *Nottingham 5th Year Med Student*

    'If you've lost your faith in love and music the end wont be long'


  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    'London'
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by rjm
    I also reckon it probably comes up in your reference...So if you reference is totally incongruent with your reference they will know you are talking complete bulls**t
    i'm not so sure about this.
    if you're applying from a small, local type school where the teachers know all about what everyone does inside & outside, then perhaps.

    but my 6th form was HUGE. with 35 or so students in a tutorial group (& a catchment area covering pretty much the whole county) our personal tutor would hardly know what we were doing outside of college unless we told them.

    so our PSs (ultimately signed by the head of faculty as i remember - yes.. it was that big, lol) focussed on subject reports from each class teacher.. summary of previous achievements (as reported by our school), official comments on attendance, any exenuating circumstances reported, involvement in college extracurriculars & some of their thoughts on our personal characteristics.

  10. #10
    rjm
    rjm is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    1,321
    Quote Originally Posted by elles
    i'm not so sure about this.
    if you're applying from a small, local type school where the teachers know all about what everyone does inside & outside, then perhaps.

    but my 6th form was HUGE. with 35 or so students in a tutorial group (& a catchment area covering pretty much the whole county) our personal tutor would hardly know what we were doing outside of college unless we told them.

    so our PSs (ultimately signed by the head of faculty as i remember - yes.. it was that big, lol) focussed on subject reports from each class teacher.. summary of previous achievements (as reported by our school), official comments on attendance, any exenuating circumstances reported, involvement in college extracurriculars & some of their thoughts on our personal characteristics.
    Is a failing on the part of the tutorial system then? surely thats what your tutor is for, to ask you what you are doing from time to time, determine how furture aspirations are panning out etc. I also went to a huge 6th form college (about 800 students in each year), but my tutor still knew what I was up to, especially since I wanted to do medicine.
    BSc (2005), BM (2006), MRCPCH (2010)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2