Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    I have girl bits ok? :) Clarkey's Avatar

Are your GCSE's good enough?

Congratulations!

You got A*/A/B's in your GCSE's. The grade system goes like this right?

A*
    A
    B
    C
    D
    E
    F
    G

A "G" is still a pass at GCSE. So if you have one of the top marks out of all of them possible, and you have lots of them say i dunno more than the medical school say you need to apply, then surely they are good enough?

I know its confusing when you are being told different things by different people. But the people to trust are the medical schools. You're clever people. I presume you know how to use a computer because you're reading this now. Go look at the prospectuses and see what they ask for! When i did my GCSE's in 2001, i got 5A's, 3B's and 1C. And i was over the moon! They were fantastic grades in my opinion, and they are still classed as fine for most of the medical schools in the country with the exception of maybe Birmingham and Oxbridge.

I would worry about your grades if:

You got a C or below in English, Maths or Science (and even then some medical schools accept candidates with C's in English)

You did less than 8/9 GCSE's with no valid reason

You do not need A*'s at GCSE although yes, it won't do you any harm and you should be proud of acheiving them if you do.

Please don't post endless threads asking about GCSE's unless you have checked prospectuses and are still confused. We're here to help you, but not to ego boost.
    South Thames Deanery 2011-2013

Currently: Contemplating my next move

Talking Amen!

I completely agree - farr too many people worrying about their GCSEs - the guide that clarkey gives exactly right - or was at least when i joined med school - last yr
    FROM A GREAT BOOK:

Fortune rides like the sun on high,
    With the fox that makes the ravens fly,
    Luck his soul, the lightning his eye,
    He snatches the moons from out of the sky.

PS: AiNt LiFe GrAnD??? ---- ''r???''

birmingham!

so is the bham thing true? - the 5A*s thing - dnt get an interview otherwise... only found out when i clicked on bham med school forum... and has it been admitted by the med school? cuz the prospectus duxzn't say nethin like that... hmmm shld really email them my self sumtime...

neways hope u guys can enlighten me...

x

so wut ure sayin is i cud get into med school i mean a decent med school?!with B's in gcse's cuz my teacher basically told that those were shit results if iwanted 2 get into med school dat i needed A's nd A*s. she also sed summit bout me bein lucky that i had the grades 2 do em 4 Alevels. am kinda pissed off but a bit upset but is dis tru??

YES!!!! You can get into med school with B's and C's...

They are all decent, some just place more emphesis on things beyond exams you sat when you were in secondary school...

Look at the websites for the requirements of the different medical schools, you will see which ones will consider you (if you think they are decent enough of course...).
    Steven
    (Foundation House Officer, Dept of Orthopaedics & Trauma, University Hospital of North Tees)

Hey... I'm an ickle one who just joined and just done GCSE's... I got good grades (A*s/A) but I really don't think I deserve them... So yeah GCSE's are going down... Heh. :\. Apoligies for the randomness of the post... This forum's scary and I'm a little 'un!!

Welcome to the forum... Doesn't it occur to you that rather than the standard of exams falling perhaps you are just bright with low self-esteem?

Don't worry, the place gets less intimidating after a while.
    Steven
    (Foundation House Officer, Dept of Orthopaedics & Trauma, University Hospital of North Tees)

Haha, no!! I mean, I've just spent forever trying to figure out how to post and go around the forum on this thing!! Thanks

Yes, it does take a while... Wouldn't worry about it, I've been here years and just discovered a moderating feature I didn't even know existed, live and learn.

Could try starting off with The Great Introductions thread in the Doctors Mess...
    Steven

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast