Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gtl

Firm & Insurance

I have two offers for medicine and one for biomedical science. My first choice medicine course offer is ABB(tagged). My other course for medicine is AAB.
    My offer for biomed. is ABB (un-tagged). My question ; is there any point in putting my second choice med.course (AAB) as my insurance ? Also my offer for my second choice medicine course is from the same university as my biomedical offer. Thoughts and opinions please.

Pav
    What do you think the chances are of you getting two As in the in the two subjects tagged as 'BB' and a B for the subject tagged as an A? If you believe its doubtful, then there would be no use in keeping the AAB offer as insurance, as thats the only situation that you'll be able to take it up.

i dunno,it would be interesting to contact the uni and ask is there any leeway with the conditions. Some people who don't get the requirements but come close do still get the place. However if they don't budge you are left with nothing,so id say talk to the uni's then make a choice
    ah sure its all good!

If you think that you can get AAB. Put the AAB offer as your Firm. If you applyed there then you shouldn't be unhappy if you end up there and use the ABB as your insurance, at least that way you have a backup.

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah
    If you think that you can get AAB. Put the AAB offer as your Firm. If you applyed there then you shouldn't be unhappy if you end up there and use the ABB as your insurance, at least that way you have a backup.
    Lol this is just the attitude I was trying to explain on the Cardiff forum but gave up. No offense to you, but many people do think you should put a higher offer above a lower one. If your ABB place is your favorite, put it firm. Then you have a choice of 2. If you miss your ABB offer for watever reason would you be prepared to do the biomed, or would you prefer to keep trying for medicine? If you would take the biomed then put it as insurance. If you would try for medicine, then put the AAB as insurance. The chances of getting it if you miss ABB are miniscule, but miniscule is better than 0. You have nothing to lose.

hope that helped.
    Bristol 05 :-)

Quote Originally Posted by sophie victoria
    Lol this is just the attitude I was trying to explain on the Cardiff forum but gave up. No offense to you, but many people do think you should put a higher offer above a lower one. If your ABB place is your favorite, put it firm. Then you have a choice of 2. If you miss your ABB offer for watever reason would you be prepared to do the biomed, or would you prefer to keep trying for medicine? If you would take the biomed then put it as insurance. If you would try for medicine, then put the AAB as insurance. The chances of getting it if you miss ABB are miniscule, but miniscule is better than 0. You have nothing to lose.

hope that helped.
    There's nothing wrong with what you say either but I personally If the person feels they can get AAB then they should put it as their firm as if they didn't like the place they wouldn't have applied there in the first place. For example, not consciuosly but people would have a tendency to relax with regards to exams if they know that don't have as high a target.

The AAB place is no better than the ABB, so why should Gtl goes against his/her personal preference?
    Alice
    2nd Year, Nottingham

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah
    There's nothing wrong with what you say either but I personally If the person feels they can get AAB then they should put it as their firm as if they didn't like the place they wouldn't have applied there in the first place. For example, not consciuosly but people would have a tendency to relax with regards to exams if they know that don't have as high a target.
    They might like all 4 unis, but most people have preferences. Go to the uni you like best, can see yourself happiest at etc.

And no offense but that last comment is not fact at all. Most med applicants are strong academics, and thus get all As anyway.
    Bristol 05 :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Gtl
    I have two offers for medicine and one for biomedical science. My first choice medicine course offer is ABB(tagged). My other course for medicine is AAB.
    My offer for biomed. is ABB (un-tagged). My question ; is there any point in putting my second choice med.course (AAB) as my insurance ? Also my offer for my second choice medicine course is from the same university as my biomedical offer. Thoughts and opinions please.
    I think you should put the second medicine AAB offer as insurance. It is possible that your results will allow you to meet the AAB offer but not the ABB offer and you may be lucky and get into your second choice uni with a dropped grade. If you do not meet either of your medicine offers and decide you do not want to take a year out, you should be able to get into a medicine related/bioscience subject through clearing as there are usually many of these available.
    Alice
    2nd Year, Nottingham

Quote Originally Posted by alilel
    The AAB place is no better than the ABB, so why should Gtl goes against his/her personal preference?
    Psychological safety. If you aim higher you are going to achieve higher. I have nothing against what you are all saying, but personally that is what i'd do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast