Doubts about medicine after work experience

I was wondering if there were any people, though initially very enthusiastic, have now started to have doubts about persuing a medical career after embarking on work experience.

Most people who have been dissuaded from a career in med after their work experience are unlikely to be reading this board any more, so don't expect a huge range of responses.

I do remember one person posting on this board to say something along those lines though. I think it's a good thing -- that's the point of doing the work experience, really.

-- A.

I had to drop out from med school first time around and am in the process of applying again - 12 years later for GEP.

I had quite a lot of work experience from those years and now more recently, plus I kept in touch with a lot of my year (over 100) who are either loving what they do or dropped out somewhere along the line and moved on to related professions or something completely different.

My advice is try lots of different kinds of work experience - I hated some of mine but other parts I found fulfilling. Medicine is a vary varied profession and you're not likely to suited to all parts of it.

But ultimately if you have doubts, they'll get worse while you study and it's a tough enough course as it is so don't feel you're letting yourself down if you decide it's not for you.

I really wanted to know if there were any aspects of work experience that people didn't enjoy (or even hated) but still felt that medicine would be the only thing they would choose to do because of other rewarding experiences.

In my own case, I've been working as a healthcare assistant for the past 6 months, and though there are many aspects of the job I do enjoy (eg. hoisting a patient from bed to wheelchair), I've never really enjoyed assisting a patient with feeding - so don't know if that's a warning sign !

So I'm continuing with the present work experience and seeking new ones. Thanks for the feedback.

when i went on work experience i hated experience of the pathology and haemotology labs finding it really boring and uninteresting but loved the surgical/theatre experience and ward visits with clinic sessions - which were a lot more people based. i think different experiences will appeal to different people at different times and sometimes it can be unfortunate if you unluckily have a bad experience or a particularly unfulfilling time because it could put you off without really showing you parts of the career you would enjoy or be interested in.
    *life moves pretty fast...if you don't stop and look around once in a while - you could miss it*

Feeding patients as a HCA is no representation of a career as a doctor.

After 6 months, you probably know that each day a team of doctors waltzes onto a ward, sees their patients, fill in notes and then moves on. They never feed or clean patients, so don't use hating that as an indication of whether or not you are suited to medicine.
    "Rectal examination revealed a normal size thyroid"

"The patient feels numb from her toes down"

Quote Originally Posted by bisola
    Feeding patients as a HCA is no representation of a career as a doctor.

After 6 months, you probably know that each day a team of doctors waltzes onto a ward, sees their patients, fill in notes and then moves on. They never feed or clean patients, so don't use hating that as an indication of whether or not you are suited to medicine.
    Yes bisola, you're absolutely right - especially about the 'waltzing'. But seriously, I know what you mean - I don't mind the cleaning, but the feeding takes me back to when I used to babysit for a flatmate and the kid just wouldn't eat !

I didn't enjoy the time I spent in the Chest Clinic at Belfast City Hospital. It was so boring, mostly just people with coughs who didn't really need to be seen. But I loved the rest of it. Pathology, Endoscopy, Surgery, this night clinic I went to and other stuff. I did quite long hours on the work experience, but nothing like the JHOs. It basically dispelled my doubts rather than creating them. Its ok to have doubts though, everyone does.
    In Cardiff now - currently despising anatomy.

its true that point of waltzing in and out of the ward. I found it actually quite strange. i mean everyone says how doctors are really close to their patients. I actually felt that doctors tend to be very distant from the patient. A good nurse on a ward is worth a million dollars, because the good nurses are like a patients best mate during their stay. that is invaluable. However it is better to see what the docs themselves do for someone wanting to be a doc. that is the minimum. But on top of that people should see what everyone else is doing. It might be a good idea to attend a multi disciplinary meeting. This may help put things into perspective.

At the same time though. remember that just because a doctor is a particular way or even the culture is a particular way, it doesn't mean you have to be like that. I guess everyone has their own style. mine is very informal. My friends style is very formal. The way i will handle a consultation will be different to the way others do.

Try to seperate the style adopted by the doctor from what the actual job requires of you. Then make your decision.