good and bad things about being a doctor

to those who are already serving as doctors, could you share some of your experiences? what are the good and bad things you realise about your career now that you've tried it out for yourself?

Bad is that once a week (aprox) I have to work from 7.30 am untill 5pm the NEXT day, as the PRHO you get shitted on by everyone as your the most junior, I regularly have to work much more than the hours I am paid for, there are just as many post grad exams as there are undergrad ones, I often get left without senior support and I hardly see my wife. Good side is that they pay you quite well, I actually enjoy going to work, you get to meet loads of interesting people, you make lots of good friends and there is no other career with such a great sense of job satisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by James
    Bad is that once a week (aprox) I have to work from 7.30 am untill 5pm the NEXT day, as the PRHO you get shitted on by everyone as your the most junior, I regularly have to work much more than the hours I am paid for, there are just as many post grad exams as there are undergrad ones, I often get left without senior support and I hardly see my wife. Good side is that they pay you quite well, I actually enjoy going to work, you get to meet loads of interesting people, you make lots of good friends and there is no other career with such a great sense of job satisfaction.
    What is the pay like at the PRHO level compared to other graduates [i.e. those who are just 1 year into their respective careers?]

That totally depends.... Some of my friends at school have done really well, one is a managment consultant and earned 55K first year out, yet my brother is on less than 20K. The problem in doing a non-vocational degree is not the pay, but getting a job, there are just so many language/buisness/science graduated out there and only a very limited number of jobs. You simply can't beat medicine for job security and garunteed income.

Hi James, can you please tell me a little bit about European Working Time Directive and what it entails?

Thanks
    Kind Regards

KingKaps

I have girl bits ok? :) Clarkey's Avatar
    Have you tried looking and doing the work for yourself first? People may be more willing to help if it seemed like you were making an effort.
    South Thames Deanery 2011-2013

Currently: Contemplating my next move

i am very sorry clarkey to have made you respond like that. all i know is that it will be in effect from August 2004, but i am not sure about the decline in hours. of course i make the effort but it was such a simple question that just required a few guidelines. I hope i dont offend you again! :roll:
    Kind Regards

KingKaps

I have girl bits ok? :) Clarkey's Avatar
    I am not offended but i have just looked it up and google and found lots of answers.
    South Thames Deanery 2011-2013

Currently: Contemplating my next move