Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accommodation

Accommodation

Hey just wondered if any current students could give some idea of the price range for a shared house and where people normally live?
    I don't really want to go into halls but it all depends on how much a house share works out when you take into account bills aswell as rent.

I've had a look on spareroom.co.uk where there are a range of rooms in shared houses and most include bills or give you an idea of cost. It does vary depending on location and how much luxury you want! I think there are some folk on the facebook offers page looking at getting a house share. I'm new to London so probably plumping for halls in year 1 - they house the GEPs together so it shouldn't be too bad!
    1st year GEP medical student SGUL

Halls are currently 140 a week inclusive of bills. A room in a private let around Tooting is about 400-500 a month, leaning more towards the upper end of that scale, plus all bills. Of course, it can go higher if you so wish...

Halls are quite popular for first year, with about 30-40 GEPs living there (all in block D), which is roughly 25-30% of the intake. I certainly wouldn't dismiss out of hand!

As for where, Tooting is the most common, followed by Colliers Wood and Mitcham. Balham starts to get expensive, even more so Clapham. You can also look towards Streatham/Streatham Common, Tooting Bec and Earlsfield. Of course, some crazy people commute from over the river or out in the fields of Kent.
    Last edited by ceih; 12-03-2013 at 06:06 PM.
    SGUL GEP, P Year
    2011 - 2015

Thanks Ceih. Good to hear that the halls are pretty good - I wasn't sure about living in initially but am now pretty sure that's my plan. 140 is for the enhanced rooms isn't it - are they very different to standard? The website just gives view of standard and disabled access. Do you know if the GEPS are usually put in the 140 rooms? Certainly the more space the better for me!
    1st year GEP medical student SGUL

Then the real weirdos one in from Guildford...
    SGUL GEP (P - Year) - That's a 3rd of 4 years, but 4th of 5...
    "All that we see, or seem, is but a dream within a dream..."
    E.A.Poe

Quote Originally Posted by musttryharder View Post
    Thanks Ceih. Good to hear that the halls are pretty good - I wasn't sure about living in initially but am now pretty sure that's my plan. 140 is for the enhanced rooms isn't it - are they very different to standard? The website just gives view of standard and disabled access. Do you know if the GEPS are usually put in the 140 rooms? Certainly the more space the better for me!
    When we started there were no "enhanced" rooms (are these the ones I've heard about with double beds?), so everybody was in standard rooms (D block is entirely these). Over last summer a new extension was added on to halls, which is where these new double-bed rooms are located.

I think the 140 is the standard room price - I can ask around to see if anybody knows the other one. Room allocation will be down to how much you pay I'm afraid!
    SGUL GEP, P Year
    2011 - 2015

Sorry for the double post, was getting server database errors.
    SGUL GEP, P Year
    2011 - 2015

Thank you so much musttry for sharing the information regarding rooms in shared houses and idea of cost.

Administrator
    test

Hi all,

I will be coming to St Georges in 2013 (yay) and went to the applicant day on 3/4/13. There was mention of a facebook group where people could discuss possible house shares, anyone know where I could find that? I've had a look and couldn't!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast