Work Experince & Volunteering

Hello all,

I have looked at the marking form for work experience - however I can't quite figure out if what I have qualifies.

I have volunteered at a listener for The Samaritans for nearly 2 years now - does this count as a caring environment?
    My only other experience is shadowing and then a few months of care work 3 years ago.

Unfortunately working full-time (and when I was studying I was also working full time!), has left me little opportunity for trying to find HCA work. I have shadowed for 2 months in one location and 1 week in another.

Should I attempt to undertake anything else between now and the time I hand my letters in?

Thanks everyone
    1. SGUL : Jan 7th interview - BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE
    2. Swansea : Rejected w/o interview (booooooooooo)
    3. Nottingham : Just filled out the questionnaire AND I'M EXCITED
    4. Let's forget this one ever happened.

GAMSAT: 65 (when rounded!), or 67 if you do it my favourite way

Hi Dr Scully
    It might be worth calling St Georges about this, to make sure. Volunteering with Samaritans sounds like a caring environment to me, and I think long held volunteering positions are highly regarded by the uni.
    Also, the shadowing should have given you a decent insight into the dynamics of a hospital environment. Sounds like you've got some pretty solid and relevant experience under your belt.
    But I know what you mean, it is tricky to figure out.
    Give them a call to calm your nerves.
    Good luck!!
    Elly

So to add to that...
    I have worked in a centre that helped youths with learning and physical difficulties. We did activities with them at the centre and took them on excursions.
    Following that when I came back to England, I volunteered at a similar centre that lost funding after a month.
    I then started my teacher training and during that period I opted to spend time in a school for pupils with sever and profound learning and physical difficulties over three weeks.

Since then I have worked full time as a teacher and am trying to organise some voluntary work over the weekend but given the speed of the paperwork and other bureaucracies, I do not know if I will have time to get more experience in before the interview letters etc come through.

I will try calling the university, but can anyone add any further advice or tips?

Many thanks!

Does anyone have this form that they could send to me? I am wondering whether my work experience is enough or even recent enough to be considered favorably. I have done HCA work for 2 years in an outpatient setting (2009-2011) and worked in laboratories since. Would it be recommended to do some more work experience?