2013 Medicine Including Foundation Year A103

I was waiting to see if anyone else would get this thread started but here we are the day after the UCAS deadline and still no sign of one!

I'm 27 years old and currently working as a Combat Medic in the Army. Previously I worked in media (the BBC) for a couple of years as a researcher as well as having various other oddjobs and the occasional unsuccessful stint at university. I've applied this year for deferred entry - so starting in 2014.

Anyone else applied this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Costello View Post
    I was waiting to see if anyone else would get this thread started but here we are the day after the UCAS deadline and still no sign of one!

I'm 27 years old and currently working as a Combat Medic in the Army. Previously I worked in media (the BBC) for a couple of years as a researcher as well as having various other oddjobs and the occasional unsuccessful stint at university. I've applied this year for deferred entry - so starting in 2014.

Anyone else applied this year?

Hey Costello,

Were you able to apply for this course? I called them and got told that they withdrew it? :s

Quote Originally Posted by Tayaa View Post
    Hey Costello,

Were you able to apply for this course? I called them and got told that they withdrew it? :s
    I was able to apply but on 17th December received this email:

Quote Originally Posted by SGUL
    Thank you for your interest in St George's.

You recently applied to our Foundation for Medicine programme for 2013 entry.

I am very sorry to inform you that due to a change in course provision the course has been withdrawn. The course was delivered by Kingston University and St George's and a decision has been taken to withdraw the course following a curriculum review of Science, Engineering and Computing at Kingston University.

We know you will be disappointed with this outcome, but wanted to update you to this change of circumstance as soon as possible to ensure you had as much time as possible to explore other options.

We will have attempted to call you directly by phone over the last week and are now following up by email to ensure you have the details of the different options you may wish to consider.

Entry to MBBS5 at a future date

We require GCSE passes at grades A*-C in five subjects (or equivalent) to include Maths and Dual Award Science (or three separate sciences). You will also need minimum GCSE English Language grade B or IELTS 7.0 (overall). And one of the following:

· As well as AAA at A-level plus a grade B in a fourth AS subject (Chemistry and Biology must either both feature at A2 and at least one to A2 and the other to AS) plus a UKCAT score.

· Alternatively we will accept the Access to Medicine programme from the College of West Anglia, Sussex Downs College or Lambeth College in lieu of A-levels. You will need to complete 60 credits at level 3 with Distinction in the Sciences (Chemistry and Biology).

· Another option you could consider includes completion of an Open University programme.

·
    Applicants will be required 120 Units in total, comprising: Exploring/Discovery Science Module 60 units; another science based Module 30 units; and any other subject area (including Humanities or Arts) 30 units.

You may of course decide to take a completely different approach and decide to apply with an existing Access to Science qualification, for an alternative degree either here at St George's or at another university. Upon completion of your degree (NB. we accept science and NON-science graduates) and sitting GAMSAT you could choose to apply for our four year Graduate entry programme.

If you are successful in meeting these requirements as a show of good faith a we will guarantee you an interview.

UCAS will also be happy to assist you at this time. Should you wish to consider an alternative choice of institution, please telephone UCAS on 0871 468 0 468 to notify them of your choice. You will not be required to update any of these changes on UCAS Track yourself. Before selecting your alternative choice, please refer to Course Finder on the UCAS website UCAS - Home and confirm with the university directly that they still have vacancies.

I would again like to apologise on behalf of the institution and to thank you for the interest you have shown in our course. If you have any queries or concerns then please do not hesitate to contact us on +44 (0)20 8725 2333 or respond to this email.

Best Wishes,

--
    St George's, University of London
    Cranmer Terrace, London, SW17 0RE

E: enquiries@sgul.ac.uk
    P: +44 (0)20 8725 2333
    F: +44 (0)20 82725 0841
    Quite pathetic really - waiting until about 4 months into this years application cycle before deciding to pull the course after having invited applications and holding open days for it. They've wasted my time completely.

I've also heard that it has been withdrawn.
    SGUL GEP, F Year
    2011 - 2015