Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Ah that's brilliant!
    You should donate blood anyway it doesn't hurt and you get free biscuits :P
    I fully passed out and scared everyone last time though (didn't have time for tea before... stupid Abi...) and I felt like a complete tool! There were loads of new people watching on with horror while nurses ran around shouting "WE NEED A BED!" and then reassuring everyone that this never happens normally, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by abi_carey View Post
    Ah that's brilliant!
    You should donate blood anyway it doesn't hurt and you get free biscuits :P
    I fully passed out and scared everyone last time though (didn't have time for tea before... stupid Abi...) and I felt like a complete tool! There were loads of new people watching on with horror while nurses ran around shouting "WE NEED A BED!" and then reassuring everyone that this never happens normally, haha!
    Lol I was just about to say the same about giving blood.
    I went for my first time a while back (can't go again until May as I've been in a country with malaria and you have to wait 6 MONTHS :/) though if someone had passed out just before I did it I might have been a touch worried!
    No tea for me though, just lots of crisps :/ - I also tried to play football nearly straight after... *S4INT does not recommend this course of action!*

Also, to DMXX - what charity would you give the money to (just out of interest...)?
    <Insert amusing signature here>

Bristol: 2nd rejection (sans interview)... 2 to go :'[
    Nottingham: OFFER -
    Edinburgh: 3rd rejection... 1 to go *gulp*
    Southampton: 1st rejection... 3 to go :'[

Oh my Flying Spaghetti Monster... I'm going to be studying medicine at university!

Touched by hIS noodly appendage

They say avoid sport and heavy lifting or alcohol/smoking. I got for chocolate. They got the last Mint Aero for me when I passed out They said it would give me a lot of sugar quickly but I think they were also doing it because I felt like such a fool lol! After India, I won't be able to give for 6 months. I'm not sure I can now if I have had my jabs. Do you know?

If i get an offer from Southampton, i will give blood, donate money to charity and also not say a single word for 2 weeks. top that!

Lol reading your stories about passing out made me feel better- at least you weren't in your nurses' uniform! I was working as an HCA last year and the blood donation people came along to do a session at the hospital. Feeling brave (as I'd never done it before) I went along with one of the male staff nurses. Everyone one else there donating were general public or not in uniforms and so we stuck out as were both in out white tunics and navy trousers. I was fine with getting the needle in my arm and the blood coming out but then the guy who'd been chatting to me during the procedure who had told me he was the driver for the blood van then told me he would also be taking the needle out of my arm.... we use the same needles and collection bags on the ward when doing venesection so I knew how big the bore of the needle is and after that.... bam I was gone lol! Next thing I knew they'd put my feet up in the air and I will be forever marked down as a "fainter"!! (That means u'll never get given a hot drink after donating, only cold water so us fainters dont accidentally pass out and burn ourselves lol!) Very embarassign experience lol!

Good luck with your applications guys! Just can't wait till it's all over!
    Glasgow 2009

I know it was my third time so I had just progressed onto hot drinks (they don't let you the first time) and now... well... they might let me get away with it, who knows, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by S4INT View Post
    Lol I was just about to say the same about giving blood.
    I went for my first time a while back (can't go again until May as I've been in a country with malaria and you have to wait 6 MONTHS :/) though if someone had passed out just before I did it I might have been a touch worried!
    No tea for me though, just lots of crisps :/ - I also tried to play football nearly straight after... *S4INT does not recommend this course of action!*

Also, to DMXX - what charity would you give the money to (just out of interest...)?
    Well, I'm currently living in Qatar (small Middle-Eastern country) as an expatriate, so my choice of charities is relatively low, unfortunately. The Red Crescent (Muslim equivalent to the Red Cross) would be a quick-fix choice, but I've heard a few rumours of corruption and some aid workers skimming off the top every so often.
    Alternatively, I could simply donate my money to the Charity fund set up by my old school. Each year, they sponsor villages that are in immediate need of money, and most of the cash goes straight to self-support schemes for the locals, which I think is money well spent.

I'm (obviously) very particular with where I want my money to go. I've already started looking, but if I can't find anywhere else, I'd be happy with making a donation to my school's Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by fizz_99 View Post
    If i get an offer from Southampton, i will give blood, donate money to charity and also not say a single word for 2 weeks. top that!
    I think that would be a tough one fizz_99...I think we'll all be screaming from the rooftops when we get offers...it would be impossible to keep us quiet! x
    Intercalating Medic (Women's Health iBSc KCL) BSMS

'Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life'
    - Confucius

bpr
    lol ghafa, as my blog explains, when I get an offer, I wont actually be able to tell lots of peope for atleast two years! even now they don't know i've applied! its a daily struggle not to put my foot in it!
    My Blog

Solicitor and UEA 2nd Year Medical Student

I know what you mean about keeping it quiet..a lot of my friends know i've applied but not where...I don't want to disappoint them if i don't get in again this year..they're really supportive and want to see me become a doctor as much as I want to be one!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast