Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    I agree, but only because this is so 'uncrackable'. If it was a nice transparent process, then it would be alright to discuss when we are likely to hear etc.

But yer, with southampton, it's just the waiting game
    Nottingham Medic '09

hhaha we were never going to work it out, it was just a fun way to pass the time whilst waiting to hear!

the only consolation I can give is that offers can be right up until April - until then you're still in the running... so hold on, it still might come!
    Newcastle 3rd year (accelerated)

tik tok tik tok.......patience is a virtue......arrghh and its killing

As a matter of interest, does anyone know how many offers they give out on BM5? I know that there are 206 places on the course. Are Southampton one of those unis that give out loads of offers because they know that most people won't put it as their first choice?
    Southampton - offer
    Peninsula - heard nothing. They can piss off.
    Nottingham - interview 18/3
    St George's - waiting list

how come soton isnt your first choice?
    Leeds- Rejected
    Leicester-Interviewed( praying and hoping)
    Southampton- Rejected
    Manchester- Rejected

UKCAT-717.5
    A-Levels:Physics B
    Chemistry A
    Mathematics A
    Biology-Pending

Gcses 5As Bs and 1c

I never said it wasn't. A lot of oxbridge applicants go for soton because they tend to have higher grades and it's seen (certainly amongst everyone I've spoken to) as a good backup to have as they don't interview. Therefore, if they're handing out offers to people based on good GCSE's/grades those people who have good grades are likely to have got into somewhere like oxbridge/imperial etc and so put southampton as a backup choice.
    Southampton - offer
    Peninsula - heard nothing. They can piss off.
    Nottingham - interview 18/3
    St George's - waiting list

Quote Originally Posted by Walküre View Post
    I never said it wasn't. A lot of oxbridge applicants go for soton because they tend to have higher grades and it's seen (certainly amongst everyone I've spoken to) as a good backup to have as they don't interview. Therefore, if they're handing out offers to people based on good GCSE's/grades those people who have good grades are likely to have got into somewhere like oxbridge/imperial etc and so put southampton as a backup choice.
    I think you have a point here; I've heard some Soton applicants mention that not having to go to an interview was a bonus. I agree that some people with fantastic grades apply because they think they're perhaps in with a good chance of an offer due to their academics and hence see Soton as a back-up choice. But though they don't interview, Soton seem to have a good admissions policy as their graduates and current students seem to have good comm. skills etc. The P.S. and reference seem to be the main 2 aspects that Soton scrutinise as long as academics and UKCAT are good.

EDIT: How many times did I use 'seem' in that post! :P
    Last edited by alex MD; 22-01-2009 at 03:32 AM.
    Southampton BM6 medic 2009

A levels - ABB

Dr Cox - "I became a doctor for the same 4 reasons everybody does; chicks, money, power and chicks"

Quote Originally Posted by alex MD View Post
    I think you have a point here; I've heard some Soton applicants mention that not having to go to an interview was a bonus. I agree that some people with fantastic grades apply because they think they're perhaps in with a very good chance of an offer due to their academics and hence see Soton as a back-up choice. But though they don't interview, Soton seem to have a good admissions policy as their graduates and current students seem to have good comm. skills etc. The P.S. and reference seem to be the main 2 aspects that Soton scrutinise as long as academics and UKCAT are good.
    I hope Southampton don't try and second guess me and give me a rejection based on this. I haven't got a first choice uni so any offers at all will be considered!
    I did try and tailor my PS to make it clear that I wasn't applying to Oxbridge...
    <Insert amusing signature here>

Bristol: 2nd rejection (sans interview)... 2 to go :'[
    Nottingham: OFFER -
    Edinburgh: 3rd rejection... 1 to go *gulp*
    Southampton: 1st rejection... 3 to go :'[

Oh my Flying Spaghetti Monster... I'm going to be studying medicine at university!

Touched by hIS noodly appendage

Quote Originally Posted by S4INT View Post
    I hope Southampton don't try and second guess me and give me a rejection based on this. I haven't got a first choice uni so any offers at all will be considered!
    I did try and tailor my PS to make it clear that I wasn't applying to Oxbridge...
    I don't think they will mate, I think the doctors to whom our ucas forms are given will be too busy to try to second guess where we've applied! There's so much speculation flying around atm about how Soton give offers out; I truly believe forms are randomly given out to selectors and objectively marked! Of course, that could be naivety on my behalf, which I shouldn't really have by now considering this is my second cycle
    Southampton BM6 medic 2009

A levels - ABB

Dr Cox - "I became a doctor for the same 4 reasons everybody does; chicks, money, power and chicks"

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast