Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Supermarkets around UCL

I was just thinking (and v bored) about shopping for food next year....

What supermarkets are nearest to UCL? (although i appreciate that halls are at varying distances, i would like ot know which supermarkets i may be shopping in)

ALSO what is popular opinion about supermarkets?

Many (well a few) students have said that despite waitroses prices, they actually represent much better value for money than places like tesco, especially if goods are bought just before they go past the best before date (as theyre cheaper) OR if u buy ugly fruit (as it's cheaper)...., due to the improved quality of the food.

Is this just all rubbish? is tesco values 8p for a pack of instant noodles really the way to go? or should i pay 20p for something similar in a more expensive supermarket but that is a) healthier and b) will last me longer....?

I'm just wondering as i'm trying to tinker with my budget for next year and am trying (probably in vain) to come up against all eventualities.....hope some1 can help!

rgds Dan
    3rd year medic, UCL

Soon to be 4th Year at Oxford!!!!!

There is a medium-sized branch of Sainsbury which is 3-4 mins walk from UCL itself. Also a Tesco express at about 5 mins.
    I think you should add Tesco value kidney beans and tinned tomatoes to your pasta - they are also unbelievably cheap and would all go together. Can you imagine how nice a chocolate brownie would be after 6 months of pasta-bean-tomato mix!!!! Even a brussels sprout might become palatable!
    *** Jinny ***

Quote Originally Posted by Jiny
    There is a medium-sized branch of Sainsbury which is 3-4 mins walk from UCL itself. Also a Tesco express at about 5 mins.
    I think you should add Tesco value kidney beans and tinned tomatoes to your pasta - they are also unbelievably cheap and would all go together. Can you imagine how nice a chocolate brownie would be after 6 months of pasta-bean-tomato mix!!!! Even a brussels sprout might become palatable!
    Thanks for that! much appreciated.

I can't believe i actually wrote such rubbish in the first post. It was like 2 in the morning and i couldn't sleep but i am genuinely interested. I'm gona go and do sum tesco and sainsbury's value window-shopping.....I'll tell you all about when i get back hehe (gosh i have NO life!)
    3rd year medic, UCL

Noodly Doctory Moderator Spencer Wells's Avatar
    I would say that the traditional view of the student buying and eating tesco value range products is a fallacy. My friends and I all eat well, and eat out at least once a week, and I don't know anyone who can't afford to do so. There are 2 small tescos and 3 small sainsburys within walking distance of UCL. For the big stores you have to go to Camden (Sainsbugs) or Chalk Farm (Safeway). The nearest waitrose is miles away in Marlebone.
    Spencer Wells BSc(Hons) MBBS(UCL)
    Houseplant

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Wells
    I would say that the traditional view of the student buying and eating tesco value range products is a fallacy. My friends and I all eat well, and eat out at least once a week, and I don't know anyone who can't afford to do so. There are 2 small tescos and 3 small sainsburys within walking distance of UCL. For the big stores you have to go to Camden (Sainsbugs) or Chalk Farm (Safeway). The nearest waitrose is miles away in Marlebone.
    OH thank g-d! i don't think i cud hack tesco value ready meals, even tho sum of their stuff is amazing value and i'm ashamed at myself for buying anything but....e.g. 500g of pasta for 19p! whoop!

You've reassured me LOTS, merci bcp!
    3rd year medic, UCL

I would say that the traditional view of the student buying and eating tesco value range products is a fallacy.
    I know, nowadays students just eat in the aisles and then run....no need to pay...hehe

My friends and I all eat well, and eat out at least once a week, and I don't know anyone who can't afford to do so. There are 2 small tescos and 3 small sainsburys within walking distance of UCL. For the big stores you have to go to Camden (Sainsbugs) or Chalk Farm (Safeway). The nearest waitrose is miles away in Marlebone.
    OH thank g-d! i don't think i cud hack tesco value ready meals, even tho sum of their stuff is amazing value and i'm ashamed at myself for buying anything but....e.g. 500g of pasta for 19p! whoop!

You've reassured me LOTS, merci bcp!
    3rd year medic, UCL

at home (thats not my location, thats where i LIVE..)
    IThe nearest waitrose is miles away in Marlebone.
    marylebone high st?
    the one near harley st....HEY! I KNO WHERE THAT IS. I WORK THERE. I GO TO THAT WAITROSE!!!!!
    UCL HERE I COME!!!

x P-to-the-Nem-to-the-PU-to-the-GOO x

I Would Like to State for the Record- I AM A GIRL.

gimme a hug!

Quote Originally Posted by Punam
    marylebone high st?
    the one near harley st....HEY! I KNO WHERE THAT IS. I WORK THERE. I GO TO THAT WAITROSE!!!!!
    HEHE....we don't have waitrose in scummy manchester! i go to M&S, OMG their food is incredible. Theres one just by euston station just incase i get peckish and want some 'mini bites'! <dreams about m&s chocolate cornflake cakes in a tub>....
    3rd year medic, UCL

Noodly Doctory Moderator Spencer Wells's Avatar
    There's a bigger M&S simply food just by Goodge street station, which is closer than Euston.

Yes I mean the waitrose one on marylebone high street.
    Spencer Wells BSc(Hons) MBBS(UCL)
    Houseplant

Anyone who claims to save money by shopping at Waitrose is clearly delusional I started out at Morrison's but found the whole experience too traumatic and am now a committed Sainsburys shopper. I even have the Nectar Card! Their 'Taste the Difference' range is very good. Waitrose is excellent but unless I was on on a decent wage I would forget it. They always offer to pack my bags at Sainsburys and I always accept (being a lazy sod). I'm rambling now...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast