FY1 FY2 in South Africa

Hello,
    Do any UK medical students have information/advice on applying for their FY1 and FY2 in South Africa?

rjm
    F1/F2 is a british thing. Different countries around the world have different training schedules, like the US has residency
    BSc (2005), BM (2006), MRCPCH (2010)

hey christie,
    I'm looking into applying for Fy2 in South Africa. Currently a Fy1 in South Thames which allows Fy2 abroad as long as the assessment formalities are sorted. I think med students in SA have to finish a year of rural practice after they graduate. I need to find out when exactly the SA academic year starts (i.e. August or in Jan - like Aus/NZ) and whether they have intern/house officer posts. Another thing is whether they pay enough to cover rent and food.
    What stage are you at? Have you got in touch with anyone?
    FY1 STFS

Hi Mihir

Im currently a 5th year so starting to apply in a few days. I found out that UK students have to do FY1 in UK, then can go abroad for FY2.
    I think yes their academic year starts in January, and the SA salary matches the UK FY2, if not slightly more.
    Apparently only people from SA have to complete the 1 year rural medicine placement (something to do with SA tuition fees), so UK graduates would be exempt from this.
    Im considering applying to STFS for my FY1, can you give me any handy tips on the application??

FY2 South Africa

Hi guys...

I'm currently a final year and I noticed your conversations of FY2 in South Africa. My foundation school allows FY2 abroad. Have you had any luck with South Africa? I can find no information on it anywhere but would love to do it.

I really do appreciate your help,

Phil

STFS only approves 4 applications for FY2 abroad each year. So don't count on it! Have a back up ready and apply for a good FY2 post in the UK. If you're really desperate you can apply to take a year out from foundation in between F1 & F2.

I might look at a few months of work experience in SA after F2.

Christie - sorry for the late reply. Hope you got into STFS and got the placement you wanted
    FY1 STFS