Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by atenololbeta View Post
    Just want to say that I hated F2 last year, you get treated badly.
    I gave up went back as a locum / trust SHO, much better.

The Deanery dont like people doing this because they loose their control over u.

IM GLAD I left Foundation, I think they should scrap it. And HCAT!
    Welcome to the grown up world (warts and all) of working in a profession where you start at the bottom of the pile. It is far from unique to medicine!!!

Sorry if that's harsh, but it's the regular working reality for a lot of folk out there who haven't got the luxury of five years as a student to take a long hard look at the reality of the job they're training for.
    Nick
    I am not quite 18 anymore
    I am not quite 28 anymore either
    History and philosophy graduate old git
    Recent Edinburgh medical school graduate
    Rapidly going nowhere fast...

ok most people here seem to be saying things like, just face it, get through it, its tough but u have to etc.
    However working an overstretched night rota with little support from Middle Grades is not my idea of the best system.
    for those who want to do that great, but I think there should be alternative ways through. Flexible training is supposedly a less draining route but in reality its only offered to 'qualifying people'

rjm
    If you had issues with the particular job you were working that should have been dealt with locally in discussion with your educational supervisor and programme manager. Quitting your TRAINING programme is just shooting yourself in the foot. Unfortunately you just had to jump through the hoops and that includes completing the assessments (which continue in ST programmes) and having educational meetings with a named supervisor, this cannot happen when you are locumming (unless in rare occasions on a long term locum contract). I suspect there is more too this than you are letting on too here...
    BSc (2005), BM (2006), MRCPCH (2010)

I'm sure there are so many other options you could consider. You could have done F2 abroad, tried to switch programmes, i'm sure the deanery would have at least listened to your concerns if not tried to help you.

The foundation programme is far from perfect and it is a disgrace that it is hailed as the "most successful part of MMC". But, unfortunately, the government has a monopoly over junior doctors and you have to stick with what they decide our training is going to be like.

There is no way anymore of getting an ST1/CT1 training post without completing both years of the foundation programme. I once met a consultant from abroad who tried to get a job over here - he was told he had to start at F2 as he didn't have a foundation certificate! God knows why but he did it.

If I were you i'd start looking for a stand-alone F2 year as soon as possible. But good luck - only the undersubscribed deaneries - which are in the most unattractive parts of the country - will have any of there posts available as the deaneries will be saving all their F2 years for their current F1s
    Nick Brazel
    FY2

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I ditched F2 and moved to NZ to work in a rural hospital. I do stuff here that ST1s and 2s wouldn't get to do back home. Getting a training job over here is pretty easy but you do tend to take a hit on the wages but there are loads of locum jobs you can boost your salary with. Lifestyle is a lot better too.

One thing I notice about the docs is that they aren't as fixated on training schemes, tend to move about getting broad and enjoyable experience and don't behave like british trainees. (Who in my opinion spend most of their time concentrating on what everyone else is doing and generally competing with one another).

At the end of the day medicine is just a job, it's only part of your life. If you want to have a say in where and when you work then why not ditch the training scheme? You can always come back to it, there are loads of F2 jobs advertised (i suspect because an increasing number of people are ditching it) and if not, get a fixed term locum and ask them if they will fill in your DOPS CEX etc as part of the terms. If they need the staff they will do it. The F2 programme only dictates what you have to do, not where and when you have to do it.

The people who have commented on this blog are not wrong. Just very typical of modern UK medics. If you can live with the consequences of it all going tits up (I can) than have some balls and take a gamble you never know where it might lead you. If, however, you know you want to be a consultant orthopod as soon as possible then I suggest you stay in the UK system, give up having holidays and get used to kissing arse.

Actually not true about needing to complete F2 year.

We had a guy complete his F1 and he went straight onto CMT in yorkshire, no F2 required. To apply for ST training, in essence all you need is 1 foundation year to be completed and evidence of experience at a senior role. In fact some locum positions offer your foundation competencies as part of the locum assignment.
    Last edited by Michael; 22-08-2009 at 11:44 AM.
    Michael
    Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Actually not true about needing to complete F2 year.

We had a guy complete his F1 and he went straight onto CMT in yorkshire, no F2 required. To apply for ST training, in essence all you need is 1 foundation year to be completed and evidence of experience at a senior role. In fact some locum positions offer your foundation competencies as part of the locum assignment.
    are you Serious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! really???? did it happen to be in an area which is totally dead? (ie Hull?*) was that a while back? or was that for entry this year?

*i am from hull so i am allowed to take the mick

so how is it going on as a locum

as i haven't graduated, it's difficult to say what the best route forward is. although, currently applying for FY1 jobs i have researched the possibility of F2 Abroad and this seems like your best option in my personal opinion.

good luck whatever path you take.
    Final Year, Warwick Medical School
    enigmatic...

Just an update, giving up FY2 worked out well for me. Earnt a small fortune as a locum for two years then got signed off and onto a CT program.
    I dont like this CT program, so my next question is "Giving up CT1 the best thing you can do"??

<DELETED COMMENTS>
    Last edited by Martigan; 04-01-2013 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Swearing/Personal Abuse

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12