Thread: ucas reference

ucas reference

Hello all,

I wanted to know how the ucas reference procedure works. My tutor who comes to my house once a week to tutor me science is writing my reference for me, but i've heard that the university ask for another one near christmas time, and that they ask for your a2 results. My tutor is retiring soon and may emmigrate, so what wud i do??

I'm applying for dentistry at Manchester

any advise please cos im really worried

You should put down GCSE results and AS grades if you have them. The more proof of academic capability the better. The referee should have somewhere to put predicted grades, and these will substitute A2 results if you haven't already sat all of your modules. As for another reference, you could use an employer, coordinator at a club or society you're a member of - anybody who can testify that you are hard working, respectable, trustworthy etc. I'm pretty sure therewill be rules against using family members though.
    Medicine is the only career with a 100% fail rate - you spend years reviewing people in clinic, readmitting them, tweaking their inhalers, prolonging their dying process.
    I want to do something useful with my life, like Orthopaedics.

Since when do they ask for another ref later on?
    FY1 Manchester
    MBChB, BSc (Hons)

erm i think i read that somewhere in the mature student section or something like that?!

don't quote me i might be wrong!

I hope its just the one reference?! I've only got one ex-tutor willing to write me one! none of my lecturers know me well enough!

I'm getting a headache over this reference thing... can someone confirm that if i am applying as an independent I have to copy and paste my reference onto the form? If that's the case, then i really don't understand the point of it, because I can just write my own one or edit my referee's? How are they going to verify it?

Yeah if you apply independantly you paste the reference into the UCAS form yourself. The only way to show that you won't change it is to attach it to your UCAS form in front of the tutor who wrote it. There's no way that UCAS or the universities can check whether the reference hasnt been altered, but I guess you would hope that anyone applying for a course such as medicine would have the integrity and honesty to not change it.
    Scared 3rd year medic at...

Also about changes or writing your own reference, the referee has to provide his/her details so UCAS or the Uni. can check with them if they wanted to. and Although theres not much chance of them checking you in 2000+ apps, its supposed to make things like that more risky than its worth.
    Plus there are always lots of opportunities to cheat and fake things in life and as already said if someone is considering this then they shouldn't be considering medcine or dentistry.