Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Exclamation Calling all who have got offers from any Oxford Medical School

Last edited by reemz88; 01-09-2013 at 06:07 PM.

If you want to apply, do so. Otherwise you'll just hit yourself on the head wondering what-if.

Are you applying to Oxon because of the prestige or are you aware of the fact that its course is different to other unis?
    OHMIE! OHMIE! OHMIE! OHMIE!
    Ohmie.

Property of a White Chocolate Bar.

You may get more response to this in the Oxford forum down the page. And some lovely mod may move it!

Are you applying to Oxon because of the prestige or are you aware of the fact that its course is different to other unis?

sorry i don't know how to quote - but i am aware of the different style, the pre-clinical and the clinical and this actually interests me a lot, because it seems more structured

thanks for replyin - i'll move it to the oxford one
    (excuse me - im a newbie!)

Possibly just leave it and get a mod to move it, or you'll have double post!
    Alice
    2nd Year, Nottingham

pre-clinical and the clinical and this actually interests me a lot, because it seems more structured

the other courses are just as structured, but you have to remember that it is more scientific and you may not 'meet' any patients or learn any clinical skills for a while. Also it is taught slightly differenty with tutorials to back up the lectures and stuff (which some people find intimidating) (sorry i have poor english skills so one of my fellow pedants may reiterate this more eloquentlly lol)

Then because i got a B grade in my mock chemistry he said that he does not think that i am capable of even applying to Oxford

um.. i got a B iin my actual AS level. it doesnt matter. As long as you are predicted 3 As, or believe you can achieve them (or hope you can achieve them anyways). If you are unsure. Visit oxford if you can to see if it is reallly for you. You may fall in love with it or realise that it really isnt for you. You do have to be slightly academic as the nature of the course is emphasising the basic knowledge. However, you dont have to be a genius (which is what i was worrying bout)!!!

You seem to be everything that the university is looking for (all they really ask is for 5 As at GCSE including science subjects and maths and english). But for some people it is just not the environment that they learn best in. Ignore that teacher (he seems just slightly prejudiced and bitter lol) and just follow your heart....(soppy i know lol)

In my school it was the opposite, they encorouged EVERY1 to apply (but only to oxford - they woouldnt help me visit the Tab land) and it meant that some people applied only because of the pressure to apply not because they actually wanted to (it makes the school look better if more ppl apply to oxbridge) and for the majority of peeps it was a wasted application as they had to go through the quite stressful interview procedure to somewhere where every1 else wanted them to go because of the prestige and not because they wanted to! so really it has to be YOUR decision...

Hope that helps rather than confuse you even more!!

good luck!!!!

Aunty Cabbage
    xxx
    Last edited by CaBBaGe McSHoRTY; 10-04-2005 at 12:39 AM.
    "Even the post mortem failed to establish a precise diagnosis and no useful treatment was subsequently initiated." - Hospital Doctor

hey aunty cabbage
    thank you so much for replying, you have really helped me.
    i've been to oxford town/city - sorry terrible grammar wateva!- and i love it, i would love to live there and also study there, as i said, it has been my dream - its just this bloody teacher!!
    i will actually go and visit the uni soon on the open day and then i'll make my decision i think
    reemz

yeah ignore that egit of a teacher... and im sure ul find other teachers that are more supportive so as long as u get a good reference it doesnt matter (and you should think about filling a complaint) and there is another thread with even better advice. lol
    "Even the post mortem failed to establish a precise diagnosis and no useful treatment was subsequently initiated." - Hospital Doctor

Reemz, there is no "Oxford type". Trust me. If people like me can get in anyone can, they don't care about where you're from but who you are. If they think that you're intelligent and that they can teach you, they'll give you an offer.

Don't listen to what one person says, but do listen to people who've been there and got the T-shirt. I trust some of the people on this website more than I trust some of my teachers....

go on surprise me!
    wat type of person are you that its soo shocking?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast