Interview on the 26th March

Hey Everyone,

I've an interview for notts gem on the 26th of March, and I'm going to end up getting to derby hospital around 12 whilst my interview is at 2pm.

If anyone is in a similar boat and fancies getting coffee and taking it in turns to talk through work experience and things let me know as it will be handy, will curtail nerves and pass the time.

matey, how did it go?
    Res Year, University College Dublin

Went ok, one room went entirely wrong tho! Are you feeling ready ? I wasn't nervous until we actually got up to get on with it, then my heart started beating more noticeably.

Oh that's good! Sounds like you did well! Fingers crossed for you! its only 1 room out of 8 right? Are most of the rooms standard why you want to do medicine and tell me about your w/e type or the more hardcore mmi assessment type?

yeah 1 out of 8 went down the proverbial pan. None of the questions were really bad. Different to a panel interview tho, talking to one person instead of three is a bit more laid back.

Persianmd - how did your interview go?

It seems awfully quiet on the Notts threads seeings that the interviews are well underway!
    2012 Applicant (1st Time)

1. Nottingham GEM - Interview - OFFER FIRM
    2. Swansea GEM - Interview - OFFER
    3. SGUL GEM - Rejected (GAMSAT)

MEng(Hons) Mechanical Engineering 1:1
    GAMSAT 2010 - 59 (60) - 61, 66, 54 54? 54? I'm an Engineer!!

Hiya guys. sorry for the late response. i think it went ok. i was pleasantly suprised as my expectation was that it was going to be harder. i got some good reactions in the rooms and compliments from 3-4 of the interviewers and was buzzing by the feedback afterwards as this is my only interview, but do i think my performance was better than 210 other candidates? no i dont think so. I didnt feel that i cocked up any room, just i made some stupid mistakes on 2 of them and ommitted some basic information which i thought was implicitily implied in any conversation about medicine. i will kick myself if i dont get an offer now as i said to myself that nothing other than a flawless performance with mostly a's and some b's in the marking would get me an offer of a place. Am i being stupid to be so hard on myself? I mean if you get 2 c's and the rest a's and b's will you get in do you think? i am being a little vague as i dont want to breach confidentiality and give the game away to others who still have interviews pending, so if you want to discuss further send me an IM.

I felt pretty much the same as you. I came out of the interview feeling really positive but when I got home, the more I thought about it, the more I started to doubt myself! I think I did well in 3 rooms, good/ok in another 3 but I think I just waffled rubbish in the other 2!!!! I am naturally very self critical so I am trying to think about this logically but it is difficult. Notts is my first choice and it makes me feel sick in my stomach when I think about getting the results.

Its difficult to know where the cut off will be or how you compared to others. You may think you only did well enough to get a c but you might have actually ticked all the boxes to get a b. It is also worth remembering that Notts only pick their interview candidates based on GAMSAT score not on Personal statement so you could have loads of work/life experience that you can reflect on that others don't. Self confidence/general impressions also go a long way at interview so just because you feel you missed out the odd statement does not necessarily mean you fluffed that station! (I am trying to tell myself this as well..these posts are quite cathartic) Noone seems to have said it was terrible yet though so who knows?!

I will definitely be glad when this application cycle is over. I really respect those that can do it time and time again. I don't know if my heart can take it!
    2012 Applicant (1st Time)

1. Nottingham GEM - Interview - OFFER FIRM
    2. Swansea GEM - Interview - OFFER
    3. SGUL GEM - Rejected (GAMSAT)

MEng(Hons) Mechanical Engineering 1:1
    GAMSAT 2010 - 59 (60) - 61, 66, 54 54? 54? I'm an Engineer!!