Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Brilliant interview book!

I read this book (see link below) cover-to-cover for my last interview at Leicester. It gives detailed answers on those awkward questions such as 'Why Medicine?' and has many many ethical/NHS questions and answers, also with interview technique. I swear by it! For those who have received all four rejections after interview, and feel it was the interview that let you down, I seriously recommend reading it if you plan to reapply!

http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...do?sku=5603925
    Last edited by lu-x; 24-03-2008 at 05:17 AM.
    Final year

Get it from a library, and don't quote verbatim either in syntax or ideas for they will see right through it and it won't sound true either. Use it as an aid to understanding rather than a "this is the answer".

Otherwise, yup, it's a great interview book. Weighty though - maybe best to concentrate on weak areas?
    Fresher medic*, doesn't know any medicine. Slight issue.

*Now 2nd Year.
    Stands.

Currently Aberdeen but off to St Andrews in September...**can't w8**
    I also agree!!! great book!! but as singh.simran said only use to help you gather thoughts etc!!!
    i definetly recommend it too!
    2008 Reapplicant: 5 unconditionals

St Andrew's University 2008

it's cheaper on amazon.co.uk than UCAS and u get some money off if u buy it with the ukcat book.
    Applying for medicine for entry 2009!

-Queens Belfast-Offer! AAAa-Firm
    -Aberdeen-Acknowledged-Offer! AAB-Insurance
    -Dundee-Acknowledged-Offer! AAA
    -Edinburgh-Acknowledged-Rejected

UKCAT average 648
    AS results: Chemistry A, Biology A, Maths A, ICT A

Janitor: "I don't believe in the moon; it's the back of the sun"

tis v expensive, great book though
    a lot of the questions in it are too high a level for undergrad interviews bear in mind...

really to high a level how do you mean? i found the tips on ties and how to greet ur examiners alone helped, as did using it for ideas on questions i wasnt to hot on. pretty sweet!
    4th Year Birmingham Medical Student

"Some call me Captain Margaret, fantastic dealer of wounds - M

plenty of questions one wouldn't expect to realistically get, e.g. evidence-based practise, the audit process, and the influence of politics on health

some of the answers they give are pretty high level too

yeh i do see ur point agneishd, but like in the house says it depends on med school. some of the questions i could see being asked at a sp trainee interview. and its useful if you dont know about the ewtd and how the training scheme used to work and how the mmc changed it. (like i didnt know before i got it)
    4th Year Birmingham Medical Student

"Some call me Captain Margaret, fantastic dealer of wounds - M

a cutesy little village in Deeside, Scotland
    i have pretty much every medical interview book you can buy in Britain- no joke, my mom was very dubious about me getting into medical school- but I think the one that y'all are talking about is probably the best standard interview book. Quite a few of my friends have borrowed it, i wanted to make it earn its keep! Another good book is the Medical Ethics mini book from the 'Very Short Introduction to...' series by Oxford. Its only just over a fiver from Amazon, but its really useful as it can help you think of your own answers to ethical or the standard 'what makes a good doctor' questions. Its also a lot cheaper, and some of the sample answers in the interview book are a bit too long-winded and pretentious. The 'Becoming A Doctor' book (also from Amazon) by the GMC is really useful, it also contains a couple interview questions but also has all the information about every kind of UK medical course, comparison charts between schools etc. case studies and a lot more. If you are a bit short on money, I'd just buy the Becoming a Doctor book and Medical Ethics book. However, I'd seriously recommend all three- you can get discounts from Amazon buying the two big ones together and tbh 40 - 50 is not a high price if it helps you get into med school!! Also, really revise the research specialties etc. of the uni, because if you so much as mention the research facilities they will try and catch you out by asking you questions about their research!

I've got a copy of the medical interviews book that you were discussing first if anyone is interested? Its quite an interesting book too if you like ethical dilemas and stuff!
    UEA 5yr Offer!
    Barts 5yr Offer!
    Barts GEP Offer!
    Warwick GEP Offer!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast