Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is the biggest problem facing the NHS today?

This is a great question that has come up at interview many times in the past. It tests the candidates knowledge in Medicine & indirectly asseses their interest.

"What is the biggest problem facing the NHS today?"

Suggestions from everybody welcome. I'll contribute my comments as we go along.

Well, this is quite similar to the one stephy1202 started, isn't it? And that one is still active. The only difference is that one asks how do you solve the problems while this one simply asks you to judge which the biggest one. But this one is like a subset of the other's content.
    INTERNATIONAL STUDENT
    UCL September 2008!

My -- slightly tentative as I haven't properly thought this through and it *is* nearly midnight -- answer is probably the media's point of view towards the NHS. Issues about expensive treatments (for example the Herceptin argument) are blown out of proportion in the media, biased towards the sympathies of public opinion. Constant articles complaining about the rate of doctors pay keep appearing (call me biased, but have you SEEN what footballers get paid these days?!?!)

That'll do for now, I'm sleepy haha
    Nottingham Medic Fresher 2008!

twitter.com/summerdaisy

rjm
    European Working Time Directive
    BSc (2005), BM (2006), MRCPCH (2010)

The Government using the NHS as a political ping pong ball.
    Marc

Academic Vascular Medicine & Surgery
    Currently: FY1 in Cardiology at the Leeds General Infirmary[/COLOR]

"No matter where you go in life, always keep an eye out for Johnny, the tackling Alzheimer's patient" Dr Cox

www.cuttingedgeleeds.co.uk
    Leeds University Medical School's Surgical Society

That's always been a problem in a lot of places. But you're right, it's probably the biggest problem.
    PCMD- Year 5/Intercalating
    Imperial Cardiovascular Sciences 2013-2014

Excessive government intervention is the biggest problem in my opinion. Ever since labour won the general election in 1997, in no small part due to what they said they'd do with the NHS, it has become something of a political trend for parties to win/lose elections based on their plans for the NHS.

And theres a saying; 'a week is a long time in politics', but in healthcare it seems it really isn't! So the government implement plans hoping to see results within weeks/months when really they need to wait years/decades to see the full effects. Because they don't see results quick enough they then assume something is wrong and make more changes without letting their original plans bed in properly. Then throw in the media's love of reporting problems in the NHS, the global problems of modern healthcare in developed countries like antibiotic resistance (MRSA), combating inherantly unhealthy populations due to alcoholism, obesity and smoking and you end up with a real tangled mess!

Examples of this are NICE, modernising GP working hours, the removal and restructuring of SHO and consultant training positions without creating adequate places etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Prolific View Post
    the global problems of modern healthcare in developed countries like antibiotic resistance (MRSA), combating inherantly unhealthy populations due to alcoholism, obesity and smoking and you end up with a real tangled mess!
    The thing is these problems are worse in England than anywhere else in Europe!

Quote Originally Posted by yeliab_cram View Post
    The Government using the NHS as a political ping pong ball.
    The fact the government only has a 5 year term just encourages that. Instead of making significant changes they think 'what can we do in the short term to win votes at the next election'. At the same time though who will actually believe that all the parties can reach a consensus on say a 10 or 15 year plan?
    4th year @ Aberdeen..... although I will be doing a Bsc in September!

Quote Originally Posted by Keeno View Post
    who will actually believe that all the parties can reach a consensus on say a 10 or 15 year plan?
    Nobody. It has to be taken out of the political process and given a board of directors to manage it in the long term who report back to the governing party. Much like the BBC is run.
    Marc

Academic Vascular Medicine & Surgery
    Currently: FY1 in Cardiology at the Leeds General Infirmary[/COLOR]

"No matter where you go in life, always keep an eye out for Johnny, the tackling Alzheimer's patient" Dr Cox

www.cuttingedgeleeds.co.uk
    Leeds University Medical School's Surgical Society

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast