Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What have been the most significant advances in Medicine in the past 20/50 years?

I was reading one of the entry to Medicine books in my careers library and there was a question that i wasn't sure how to answer:
    What have been the most significant advances in Medicine in the past 20/50 years?
    I thought that the Human Genome Project was important. I also thought that transplant surgery was fairly major. I don;t know whether these are what you guys think. Could i have ur views.

In 1954, Becton, Dickinson and Company created the first mass-produced disposable syringe and needle, produced in glass.

Or how about Cat Scans in 1975!

Just got that off google!!! If I got that in an interview I would have a clue what to say!!!
    Courage is not the absence of fear but the decision that something else is more important than the fear

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead
    where there is no path and leave a trail.

Yeah it is a difficult question. Thanx for ur help though

I'll have a look on google to.

Pcr

Definetley the imaging processes e.g. PET/CT/MRI which have really come of age as viable medical tools in the last 25 years and before this the work done on the theory of these subjects.

The promise of molecular biology has helped understanding of vital human functions and combined with the completiion of a draft of the human genome offers a chance for real breakthroughs in gene therapy within our working lives.

Don't get too carried away with genetics, it would be easy to fall in to a trap at interview. Genetics is important and holds great promise for medicine in the future, however, aside from diagnosis of genetic disease, the science of genetics has had little impact on clinical medicine as yet.

I think that is true. Genetics will become very prominant in the future as well as nanotechnology, but not for a while yet.
    I suppose you could say that with these new developments many bad things have sprung up as well, such as HIV AIDS.
    On a web site it says the following are the most important developments in the last 50 years in medicine and biology:
    DNA structure discovered,
    Human genome project and genetic engineering of plants and animals,
    Biotechnology,
    Birth control technology and use,
    The spread of Aids,
    Polio and Smallpox defeated - worldwide immunization programs,
    Control of tooth decay,
    Developments in medical techology including nuclear medicine, MRI, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattie
    I suppose you could say that with these new developments many bad things have sprung up as well, such as HIV AIDS.
    Be careful if you're suggesting that HIV was made intentionally or resulted as a byproduct of vaccination programs. The evidence for this is a bit flaky.

hey

Interesting thread. Good hygiene, education, health and safety in the workplace, immunisation and nutrition are the greatest contributing factors to our modern day health (much of this due to this establishment of the NHS) - compare ourselves to a country without these, for example Mozambique. A country which suffers from high infant mortality, high aids levels and low life expectancy - infact Mozambique has a significantly lower level of life expectancy to Great Britain .... at the turn of the last century!!!

Humanities Student wishing to study medicine - its all in the demographics ....
    Last edited by linksdeg; 12-06-2005 at 02:31 AM.

information technology, computers lead the way

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast