Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why a Doctor?

Why a Doctor?

Pls could anyone give me inspiration on what they said for why they want to be a doctor - My reason is genuinely that I want to help people but its so cliche I can't say it so I need some inspiration as I have spent the past few hrs trying to decide what to say .
    Thanx
    xx
    Final year medic, Leeds.

Me and my Muff are in my albums!

Quote Originally Posted by Eponine_hugo
    Pls could anyone give me inspiration on what they said for why they want to be a doctor - My reason is genuinely that I want to help people but its so cliche I can't say it so I need some inspiration as I have spent the past few hrs trying to decide what to say .
    There's more to it than wanting to help people though, isn't there? Else you could just as easily become a lollipop lady. Or, a more likely point to be brought up at interview, "Why not be a nurse then?".

-- A.

Because I want the challenge of diagnosing - my reason for wanting to be a doctor I suppose is more a feeling than something i can put accurately into words. I am really stuck. I also enjoy the science of it and I'd love the opportunity to combine science with being with people and helping people.
    Final year medic, Leeds.

If I can advice sth serch the site, this question was asked 1000 times. Unfortuantely the answers are not very inspiring. Just think honestly why you want to do it and prepere some coherent answer. Or if you are as lazy as me do not prepere and improwise during interviu. I could not think about decent reason, went for interviu hoping I am not going to be asked that (I was sure they will ask me in Manchester but naive as I am I was still hoping). When the question came I just let my entusiasm shine through all the waffel I said .
    Manchester final year.

status, money, an innate yearn for a stethascope. i think it is probably influenced by the media portrayal as well. saying that you are interested in helping people is important as well. a love / amazement of biology and its relationship to disease. its a very personal thing. just being honest about why you want to do it is the most importnat thing.

bert
    i'm afraid you're in a symptomless coma, you wont have realised this because you're in a coma

i had similar reasons eponine, just a gut feelin more than anything else. I just told them this. Then backed it up with love of ppl an science etc The most important thing is that this comes from you, and noone else, tho im sure you knew that already
    if you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours

I found that the most difficult question of all. I think most people that want to do medicine have decided a long time ago and that desire gets stronger and stronger with time but the reason wears away.

You have to sit down and think about it. I was torn between saying why I really wanted to be a doctor and what they wanted to hear. As i was applying to medical school I got a very strong impression that it was a game and you just had to say whatever it takes to win. But it isn't, its a lot easier and more worthwhile if you think and get it clear in your head why you want to do it- even if it takes you hours to work it out.

Your liking of science, people and helping people is fine, but think about it further. At my last interview they didn't ask me "why do you want to be a doctor", they said "now I know you'll like science, working with people and helping others but why do you really want to be a doctor?".

My advise is make it unique, original and most importantly honest...then you'll be fine.

i love the idea of it being me agaist nature and being the one thing stopping. it being the combination of my knowledge, instinct and practical skill that makes a difference. i want to be able to be able to walk into any situation and be able to take control of it, like an accident or something where you can tell someone to do something - phone for an ambulance or something - and there is something inthe way that you say it that makes people feel able to do it no matter what else is going on around them.

i know that sounds really pretentious and smug but thats how i feel about it

i want to be able to go home at the end of the day and think today i saved someones life or i helped someone, someone will remember me because i did something right.

bert
    i'm afraid you're in a symptomless coma, you wont have realised this because you're in a coma

Quote Originally Posted by bert
    i want to be able to go home at the end of the day and think today i saved someones life or i helped someone, someone will remember me because i did something right.

bert
    Bert - that is brilliant - a summary of part of how I feel about it - you are an angel!!!
    Final year medic, Leeds.

they will remember you if you cock up as well but thats by the by

bert

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast