iem

Unhappy Electives in america for international students

Hi,

I've been trying to look for hospitals/medical schools in USA that will accept international students - can anyone help me? so far ive only managed to find two hospitals, one in florida and another in texas, but they've said that they cannot promise me a place until about a month from the elective period! Any suggestions? =( Thanks.

Is this your actual clinical fifth year elective? Or is it a summer research position? If it is the former then there are a huge number of universities in the states that take fifth years on their electives. Harvard for one take about 150 people a year i think.

If it's a summer thing then it's a little trickier. I've managed to get in to Johns Hopkins this summer but only through extreme perseverance. I basically looked up the heads of dept of the uni website and emailed about 10 people asking if they'll take me and eventually I got a reply. What school/hospital/speciality are you wanting to do an elective in?
    Edinburgh 2nd year medical student

tkk
    hi thanks for the info i just wanted to ask how long before the elective period did you apply.Im interested in a position between october 2008 and jan 2008

hello iem,

perhaps you should concentrate your efforts on one state per time, i think theres this uni, Uni os southern california, check it up.

hey there - ive also been stuggling to find an elective in USA for this summer. I've tried all the california unis - none of them except Lpool students as they only accept final year students and as we do our elective in 3rd not 4 year - its a no win situation. UCLA said they would offer me one but only in the fall as all summer elective are reserved for american students! oh well
    good luck!