GEM work experience

Bit early I know but what sort of work experience do people have that allready applied and got an interview for 2013, or are hoping to apply for 2014 entry? I am starting to stress about mine. I know its more about saying what you have taken from it rather than quantity...but still doesnt stop me worrying ha!
    x

Quote Originally Posted by kiz2312 View Post
    Bit early I know but what sort of work experience do people have that allready applied and got an interview for 2013, or are hoping to apply for 2014 entry? I am starting to stress about mine. I know its more about saying what you have taken from it rather than quantity...but still doesnt stop me worrying ha!
    x
    Hi!

I think you are absolutely right when you say its about what you have learnt from your experiences as opposed to quantity. A lot of medical schools (inc. Hull York) are very keen on reflection, with a particuarly emphasis on what have you learnt, how has this helped you and why have you chosen to talk about this.

In preparation for my application (I applied as a graduate), I worked on a part-time basis as a care assistant in the community, volunteered for PALs and shadowed a few doctors. What have you done to date? Does it demonstrate your commitment to medicine and have you made a reasonable attempt to get a feel for the degree and profession?

Hope that sort of helps,

Simon

Hull York Medical School
    Year 5 - York

Thanks for your reply Simon. I am based in Hull, would LOVE to apply to HYMS but they will not accept an application as i dont have the correct alevels (despite doing a biomed degree......)

anyway work experience wise:
    I volunteer as a counsellor for the anthony nolan trust taking spit samples from potential bone marrow donors
    I work two mornings a week in a local gp practice, i rotate around sometimes in with the doctors, sometimes doing the paper work stuff, currently helping with audits and things for the CQC assesments.
    I am also volunteering on the hopsital wards, half a day per week, just the general helping with food speaking to patients etc.
    Coupled with this I am part of the home from hospital scheme, where I go and help people who have just come out of hospital. Sometimes it may just be listening to them, or just bringing in a few bits from shops, even helping walk their dog just anything to help the transition back home easier for them. I think this helps me a lot as its developed my skills with speaking to the elderly.
    Also not too related, but i have done a course in sign language and deaf communication skills.
    I have done a medicine taster session in conjunction with HYMS a few years back, and have also undertook some shadowing work and been into theater.

i think i can give a fairly reasonable explanation of what i have learnt from these, do you think there is anything i am lacking? I know a lot of mine are more caring based than actual "experience" wise, but i think you have to be caring to succeed in the profession, and i do have a thorough understanding of the career and study of medicine

x

Thanks for your reply Simon. I am based in Hull, would LOVE to apply to HYMS but they will not accept an application as i dont have the correct alevels (despite doing a biomed degree......)

I volunteer as a counsellor for the anthony nolan trust taking spit samples from potential bone marrow donors
    I work two mornings a week in a local gp practice, i rotate around sometimes in with the doctors, sometimes doing the paper work stuff, currently helping with audits and things for the CQC assesments.
    I am also volunteering on the hopsital wards, half a day per week, just the general helping with food speaking to patients etc.
    Coupled with this I am part of the home from hospital scheme, where I go and help people who have just come out of hospital. Sometimes it may just be listening to them, or just bringing in a few bits from shops, even helping walk their dog just anything to help the transition back home easier for them. I think this helps me a lot as its developed my skills with speaking to the elderly.
    Also not too related, but i have done a course in sign language and deaf communication skills.
    I have done a medicine taster session in conjunction with HYMS a few years back, and have also undertook some shadowing work and been into theater.

i think i can give a fairly reasonable explanation of what i have learnt from these, do you think there is anything i am lacking? I know a lot of mine are more caring based than actual "experience" wise, but i think you have to be caring to succeed in the profession, and i do have a thorough understanding of the career and study of medicine

x

Quote Originally Posted by kiz2312 View Post

x
    Hi!

Your welcome. I would check this Entry requirements - Undergraduate at Hull York Medical School as I am sure you would be eligible to apply for HYMS. If you look under the criteria for Graduates, this should make things clearer. Failing that, I would contact the admissions department seeking clairification. They may ask for a transcript of modules you have undertaken to see if there is sufficient Biology/Chemistry within your degree.

Looking at your work experience, it seems like you have achieved a decent amount. It's like I said before, a lot of medical schools (inc. HYMS) are interested in what you have learnt from these experiences rather than what you physically 'did'. E.g. did it improve your communication skills etc. There doesn't appear to be anything that you are 'lacking', I would keep looking for new placements to broaden your experience as this is never a bad thing! These do not have to be specifically related to medicine. For example, during Biomed I acted as a mentor to junior years - this was something I mentioned in my personal statement.

Simon

Hull York Medical School
    Year 5 - York