Applying GEM with a UKCAT score of 677.5

Just sat my UKCAT and got VR 590, QR: 700, AR: 710 and DA: 710. Obviously rather gutted that I messed up on VR because last year it was one of my stronger sections (got 800 on it) as was DA. With my average of 677.5, would it still be sensible to apply for GEM courses or stick with the 5 year? I'm applying with a 2:1 in Psych also. Thanks in advance .

Hi e_bruce!

I don't actually have much advice for you as I'm pretty much in the same boat, psychology graduate without Chemisty or biology.

Congrats on completing the UKCAT with a pretty good score!
    I'm currently wetting myself as I've been practising but still not doing very well :/

From what I've read (I haven't posted anything yet but have been stalking this forum for a while :P) the 5 year courses are (slightly) less competitive than the GEP and don't require such a high UKCAT score... but I could be wrong. So maybe from that respect it would be a good idea, although I would try to find out the cutoff's as I'm sure 677.5 should be above this?
    Would you be able to fund the 5year course considering the distinct LACK of funding?

Good Luck with your application

warwick might be ok with that score...
    Only problem with 5 year is often they require you to get the A level grades aswell or at least have bio and chem at a B grade.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexi17 View Post
    Hi e_bruce!

I don't actually have much advice for you as I'm pretty much in the same boat, psychology graduate without Chemisty or biology.

Congrats on completing the UKCAT with a pretty good score!
    I'm currently wetting myself as I've been practising but still not doing very well :/

From what I've read (I haven't posted anything yet but have been stalking this forum for a while :P) the 5 year courses are (slightly) less competitive than the GEP and don't require such a high UKCAT score... but I could be wrong. So maybe from that respect it would be a good idea, although I would try to find out the cutoff's as I'm sure 677.5 should be above this?
    Would you be able to fund the 5year course considering the distinct LACK of funding?

Good Luck with your application
    I have 4 B's at A level (Biology, Psychology, French & Philosophy) but unfortunately that doesn't include Chemistry. I guess with the whole issue of funding it would be unrealistic for me to apply for a 5 year course, I was just a little worried about my UKCAT score now that I have come to realise that graduate entry courses seem to be asking for UKCAT scores of ~700. I'll just have to email around and see if I can get anything out of the unis in regard to the UKCAT threshold.

--Lexi17, when is your UKCAT? Try not to worry too much (easier said!), I didn't find it was as difficult as the books I'd used, with the exception of AR which was probably about the same-- I just sadly messed up on timing!

Also Barts is a possibility. I called them this morning and they said last year was 2750 but it could go up or down from this..

Warwick GEP 2013-2017!

"Eye of a hawk, the heart of a lion, and the hands of a lady"

Hi e_bruce,

My UKCATn the 4th October. I'm pushing it to the latest I can as I only decided two weeks ago to apply for 2013 entry and not 2014! Last minute cramming for the UKCAT probably isn't the best idea but I'll give it a go! If anything it will be good prep for 2014...
    Which books did you use? I'm using the 600Q's book & I've heard the AR is much harder in this than the actual test which is a huge relief as I'm barely getting any of them right!!

Ahh, great that you have A level bio, does that open up more options for you? currently I'm verrrry limited. So much so I'm considering doing A level Chem...

Hi e_bruce,

My UKCATn the 4th October. I'm pushing it to the latest I can as I only decided two weeks ago to apply for 2013 entry and not 2014! Last minute cramming for the UKCAT probably isn't the best idea but I'll give it a go! If anything it will be good prep for 2014...
    Which books did you use? I'm using the 600Q's book & I've heard the AR is much harder in this than the actual test which is a huge relief as I'm barely getting any of them right!!

Ahh, great that you have A level bio, does that open up more options for you? currently I'm verrrry limited. So much so I'm considering doing A level Chem...
    I used the 600Qs book too! It's really good. I found the QR and AR were much harder in the book but I guess it's better to be over prepared. I also bought the Kaplan 'Score Higher on the UKCAT' and the QR in that is probably more realistic. Well...good luck for the 4th, I'm sure you will do great .

Hi e_bruce,

I used the 600Qs book too! It's really good. I found the QR and AR were much harder in the book but I guess it's better to be over prepared. I also bought the Kaplan 'Score Higher on the UKCAT' and the QR in that is probably more realistic. Well...good luck for the 4th, I'm sure you will do great .