Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

i know there's probably a lot of these threads but need some advice please.

right this is going to be a long one, im currently a 2nd year Biomedical Science Student at uni, i have A-Levels in Biology chemistry and English Li&lang. I originally applied to study Pharmacy for two reasons, i didnt think i could get the grades for medicine and secondly i didnt quite have the passion for medicine as i do now. Well in year 13, unfortunately my mum got diagnosed with breast cancer and my last year of alevels was generally quite hard as especially on my holidays, id be with my mum 3/4 days a week in the hospital while she undergoes chemo, many times it would be from 9am-7pm in the evening. Anyway my alevel grades suffered greatly as a result and i got BCD, but with my unis knowing of my situation i still got a place on pharmacy. However, due to a change in mind and me realising that me going into pharmacy almost ended any hope for me to do medicine as i wasnt sure id go into GEP after pharmacy (and even so, isnt it then a waste of an extra year) so i rung around unis on clearing and got a place on Biomedical Science.

So brings us to now, im in my second year, all my grades are good im currently set on a 2:1. I can honestly say i am a different person than what i was back in alevels, the amount of work i am putting in now is so rewarding and i honestly believe my a levels should not hinder me for the rest of my life.

Hobbies/Work experience/volunteering? Well i currently volunteer at a cancer hospice locally, i do about 2-3 hours a week helping the nurses lay out the beds, provide drinks etc. I have also applied to do volunteer work at my local hospital and awaiting criminal bearau check before i start, likewise with work experience just waiting to hear back from the hospital. I have also worked in a hospital in Egypt for 3 weeks previously, shadowing various doctors from pediatrics, nephrology and obs and gyne. I also have 2 part time jobs that i work for extra money during the weekend which i believe could help me with my personal statement? Finally with my hobbies, i take a huge interest in nutrition and fitness, i regularly go to the gym and am always researching new products brought out in the bodybuilding society as well as writing small articles on websites with regards to training, diets etc. I also play rugby for the university and have played rugby for the past 6 years since starting GCSEs.

I regularly read up on BMJ at my local library and have even started taking interest in the British Journal of Obs and Gyne. I have taken a considerable interest in the oncology side of obs and gyne due to my grandmother passing away with uterine cancer earlier this year.

basically what you've read is a sort of draft to a potential personal statement, obviously i would tidy it up and write it properly and all this work experience stuff will be written in the past as opposed to me still applying lol.

So my questions are, what else could i add?

and secondly; im hoping to apply to Manchester, Nottingham (4years), keele (unsure 4/5years), Liverpool (4 years) and Newcastle (4 years)...hoping to pick 4 out of them...any advice?

i know i ranted on a bit but im new to the forum and just hoping everyone gets to know exactly where im at etc.

thanks again guys

Awesome, mate Looks like you're on track for a pretty strong medschool application.

Main thing I would advise would be working your arse off in your final year for that 2.1- makes things a LOT easier, believe me, and the final year is always tougher than people expect. Plenty of people I know who were on for a 2.1 dropped to a 2.2 cos they didn't take the final year seriously enough.

Your W.E. seems good- persistence over time is the key rather than amount per se, so doing just a few hours a week but for months or years is what counts, but truth be told you can never do too much W.E. for medicine. You could be competing in interview against a quallified nursing Sister.

Your stuff in Egypt is cool as well, basically cos its a little different from the norm- always good to stand out!

Only other point is that if you're serious about the 4-year Notts option, that'll require the GAMSAT, which there's loads to look at for on here. Maybe think though, if you do it, about adding another GAMSAT-medschool, as a) its a big exam for just one of your four options, and b) because if you ace it, it automatically gets you 2 interviews instead of 1, and still leaves 2 choices if it doesn't go well.

Best of luck, pal!
    Last edited by Bad'un Raddon; 23-03-2011 at 06:40 AM.

Best advice when choosing the ones you apply for it to have a look at the individual universities course websites...

You seem to have done the right subjects, but some of them want you to have got specific grades at A level, even though you are a applying for graduate... Others, (Notts) wont even look at your A level grades, all they want to know about it GAMSAT, degree and work exp.

Alsoooo... I think a couple of them require you to have already got your degree before applying, not "predicted classification". I know from your list Liverpool does, maybe some others. So that would mean you couldn't apply to those ones this Sept for 2012 entry if you are still in your 2nd year? Always worth looking at.

This is a pretty good website for a general overview (although some of it is sliiiiightly out of date). I would have a scan and then look at the universities' own websites for further detailed info, especially specific to your degree/a levels etc.
    Medschoolsonline - Medical Course Guide for Graduates - Graduate Entry 4-Year Courses

Your application sounds pretty strong though, so best of luck

Your application does look strong. Have you considered a 5 year programme as 'insurance'?

thanks a lot for the support guys! yeh i am applying to manchester 5 years, keele probably 5 years and unsure whether to apply to newcastle 4/5 years...i think my decision to apply to which 4/5 year courses will probably be finalised by september as im looking to do the GAMSAT in july as i know it takes a couple of months to get my results?

if i do well in the GAMSAT, im hoping to apply to Nottingham/Newcastle (4years) and Manchester/Keele (5 years)

and rjm, you say about liverpool asking for your degree to be grades in hand, is this also the case for 5 year program?

Warwick and Swansea are 2 grad only med schools that id love to go to but really worried about applying to them as ive been told they are extremely difficult unis to get into? (not that any of the others are easier) but im told that especially warwick has some mental places to applicants ratio of sometihng like 1:40...anyone had any experience applying to these two unis?

thanks again for the contribution

Okay, You're HIRED!

you can't sit GAMSAT in July - it's only held in the UK in September, so you don't apply with your results. You're thinking of UKCAT which you can do any time over the summer and you apply with results, but that's not used by Notts or Keele GEM (they do indeed use GAMSAT). Newcastle I think does use UKCAT.
    Libs
    SGUL GEP 2009 - Academic F2 @ Southampton

ah i thought you could still sit the gamsat any time during the year...my bad guess it shows my lack of knowledge on the GEP, ive been so focused on the undergrad courses that thinking of applying to the 4 year medicine is quite different lol...

some unis, for example keele and nottingham, ask for GAMSAT in the 4 year course, if i was to apply to the 5 year course, despite being a graduate, would i still need to do the gamsat or will the UKCAT suffice?

No 5-year courses use the GAMSAT, except Peninsula for graduate-entry to their 5-year course.
    If you apply to the 5-year course at a uni that also has a 4-year version, its a totally separate admissions procedure, and will just require the UKCAT.

ah ok i understand now! Right on a general note, as a graduate do i stand a better chance of getting into the 5 year course as opposed to the 4 year one?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast