Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Medicine seems to keep coming back to me..

Hi Everyone,

Well I am 24 years old, I did the first 18 months of nursing, but left because it wasnt for me. I felt very unchallenged academically. Ive now got an 9 month old baby, and worry that I have not got a career in place and that I need to get something sorted to secure her future. I joined NMM in 2003, this is how long I have been to-ing and fro-ing over this issue. I recently got offered a place to study midwifery at my last choice uni for this september. In my heart, I know its not my passion because I worry that it wont give me the same sense of intellectual satisfaction that medicine ever could. I know I would make a good midwife, but I know that I could never be happy as JUST a midwife, I would need to do more and more i.e PhD e.t.c I feel that medicine would give me the intellectual stimulation that I crave. I enrolled on an access to human sciences course to keep my mind ticking over..and so far I have achieved 11 distinctions, in biology, chemistry and physics. Something, I never thought I was capable of. I worry that if I go for medicine, I will fail. So I know this is an insecurity issue. My fiance is happy that I have been given my place for midwifery but I KEEP FINDING MYSELF coming back on this forum and reading posts from time to time, why cant I just believe in myself and go for it. I said to my partner, I worry that when I am a student midwife I will wish I could be doing what the doctors are doing. I used to do that when I was a student nurse..what am I doing?

Pointless post I guess..just needed to get it out.

Thanks bemyenemy for replying,

I dont think you were harsh at all, and I do think I am a bit silly for applying for midwifery when I didnt think nursing was 'enough' for me. Dont get me wrong, nursing/midwifery are brilliant careers but like you..I need something a little more substantial. I dont have any A levels..just my gcses, this access course I am doing at the moment and my 18 months of my nursing diphe. I could do the lambeth access to medicine course which I have been eyeing up for months. I wish I could apply to cowa or CCN or sussex downs but the reality of the matter is that I cant with a fiance at uni here. He graduates Sept 2012 so in theory it could work out quite well if I applied this year for medical school with 4 fresh new unis..(dare I let myself think about it...) I really am thinking about deferring my offer for 2012 so if I didnt get in, I had a fallback option or plan b but a big part of me is feeling like I should just give it a go and get some confidence!

This would mean, I would potentially have two access courses under my belt..or I could go and do some A levels..I have to think very carefully. If I do midwifery and decide to do medicine, It will be a bad choice no way in hell I could afford GEP fees.

Hi,

I'm a qualified midwife so thought I would comment on your dilemma. Midwifery is now degree only (in Scotland at least) but nursing is still a diploma with top-up option. Having studied the course and now doing honours and with friends who studied the nursing degree, Midwifery is more academically challenging than nursing, hence the higher entry requirements, but not as much as medicine will be. I see you did do quite a bit of your general, and we had a girl in my class who had done 1 year then quit and became a DE midwife. I cannot stress enough the difference between nurses and midwives roles. We are always grouped together because midwives used to have to be nurses etc, but they really are entirely different so i get why you had thought about it.

I feel that Midwifery was not enough for me academically but also in practice, the autonomy that we are supposed to have is hard to come by in a CLU. Doctors are not so protocol bound as nurses and midwives.
    I think if it's medicine you want to stimulate you academically then don't do midwifery- it's no easy ride and your heart really does have to be in it to survive the course. On placement the med students have it wayyyy easier (and they still get better holidays!!).

All the best in whatever you decide to do x
    BSc Midwifery - Distinction (p.1:1 Hons) Qualified Midwife 2010

Thanks Genevieve, love that name..

Yes, I have an offer for the midwifery degree this september..but I worry about feeling unfulfilled academically again. I just applied for an access to medicine course...either that or I will apply for A levels. I find it interesting that you mentioned about the autonomy in a CLU, there is quite a strong obsetrician presence so I have wondered about whether I would ever get that feeling of autonomy, unless I was to work in the community. Congratulations on your 1st in Midwifery, did you know all along it wasnt for you?

Hello Rose

I'm inclined to agree with BeMyEnemy. If you found nursing unstimulating I'm not sure midwifery is going to rock your world either. Doing a midwifery degree would be wasteful and you would be occupying the place of someone who genuinely wanted to be a midwife.

I do a lot of volunteer ambulance work and although I have a massive respect for paramedics I certainly know that the job isn't for me. Part of it is similar to your own thoughts, I would get bored of it very quickly.

What is it that makes you want to be a doctor? If it's intellectual stimulation you're looking for then there are alternatives. I was looking at chiropractic a couple of years ago. The academic entry requirements are similar to medicine and the students I spoke to seemed to love it, and they were very talented people. Alas it's considered alternative therapy in this country but in other nations it's regarded as mainstream healthcare.

If you do genuinely want to study medicine, and for better reasons than you find it intellectually stimulating, then go for it. By the sound of it you certainly have the academic ability to do medicine. Don't let a lack confidence stop you. No-one is going to laugh at you if you don't succeed. Trying and failing is better better than never trying at all - atleast you won't spend your life thinking about what might have been.

It sounds like you already know what you want to do (especially since you joined NMM in 2003), but you just need a shove. Tell your fiance to read this forum and then buy him a cattle prod for valentine's day. If he loves you then he'll have you shoved into medicine by 2012

Thanks profanius, Well Psychiatry has always interested me as a speciality, but then I am very fascinated by all things related to the human body, scientifically. Naturally caring in nature, with lack of self confidence, I thought nursing/midwifery was for me and I am not from a middle classed background and no one in my family has been to university. However, during my time at college I have proved that I can excel in the subjects that really matter. Its not just about it being " academically stimulating " for me, as I agree there are many other professions that could do just that, but I have been here since 2003..:lol: So, I may just be on the right track..just about..haha. I think your right when you say, trying and failing is better than not trying at all..I just need to get this beleif.

I know how you feel - I first looked in 2006 and nearly applied oin 2007 but got scared and the last 4 years have shown me that it isn't a passing interest. I had to accept this and apply. I'm single with no children so it's different but it sounds to me like you should apply yourself into getting into med school. It also sounds like you can do it.

You only live once. Good luck.
    SGUL MBBS 4 T- Year (2/4)

Ok, small update I have decided to apply for 4 A levels at a college near me. I will be doing them full time, as after speaking to a woman from Lambeth college Im not sure if its the best option for me. She told me there is a 25% acceptance rate, and she said more than likely I will get rejected. So I will need a plan B, (what, midwifery? lol) She also said medical schools dont like it if I have come from a nursing background! Sigh. Not a lot I can do about that, as I will be putting my care experience on my application! There is no quick way round this, and I dont see why there should be. Im just going to have to get on with it. I will get onto my Alevels course this Sept, and apply to medical schools next year. (How exciting) Thanks again for all your support and advice.

I don't know why people come out with these unqualified statements, maybe to try and scare people off I don't know, but it's completely untrue to say that medical schools don't like applicants from a nursing background so don't worry about that. There's plenty of ex-nurses and HCA's on my course including a bloke who was an intensive care nurse I believe, and a good friend of mine who's a psychiatric nurse will be taking up her place at Nottingham med school in September. I wish you the very best of luck.
    HYMS
    2nd Year Medic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast