Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

'A' level Chemistry and Biology in 1 year?

Im a mature student with a degree in Sports Science (2.1). I then started studying Biomedical Science with the aim of going in to laboratory science and got a 1st in the first year. But now ive had a taste of the medical sciences I have decided to give to give medicine a shot. Ive just done the GAMSAT and MSAT entrance exams for the fast track in to medical schools but they did not go too well. If I dont get in this year which doesent look likely then Ive decided to apply for the 5 year courses because the 4 year courses are so competitive. However, I would have to get my 'A' levels in Biology and chemistry which i do not have (Even though I appreciate how much more expensive it will be!).

I am far from a novice but im still sceptical if i could do it in a year. My local college has said i could if i wanted to. Has anyone else here done this before?

I know of people that have done A-level in one year - it is very hard work but it can be done Well done in your degree !!
    Leeds Medic

i think its def possible, ppl who apply to access to med courses usually get to do that, i think dont quote me! good luck.

But would I have to get A grades in both even though I have a degree?

It's very doable although it depends on what else you would have on jobwise.

2 A-levels in a year is pretty much the same as 4 in 2.

I did something similar while working full-time. It's a big commitment so think carefully before you start. It would help you massively with Gamsat by the way.

Hey there! Im on an access to medicine course at the moment and we take Biology, chemistry and physics up to A-level and Maths/statistics and Medical geography up to As level in a year. Its hard work but its worth it. An access course is another route you could consider. The access course in Kings Lynn has alot of clout with the medical schools and has a great success rate of getting people in, so that could be another option, and the course is free. (you dont get student loans and stuff but you dont have any fees to pay!). If you want any more info then PM me
    2001/04 -- UCLAN Adult Nursing
    2005/06 -- COWA Access to Medicine
    2006/11 -- Medicine @ Manchester

Manchester Final Year...........

Currently I am........on holiday

Consider doing AS levels as this is acceptable for the vast majority of places in my experience - or certainly AS level bio.(the only place I found objected to this was Georges). I am doing 2 Scottish Highers (eqiv of AS -level) and this has enabled me to apply to 5 year courses. I'm not sure whether two As will be required - but my offer from Kings stipulates a pass - I checked this with them after the shock - and yes, just a pass. The uni's do not expect you to get the same as the school levears in all cases.
    I'm working full time whilst doing the highers distance learning - I pop into college once in a while to do the chem pracs and a few tests. It's been a good experience as the grad courses I applied to as well also look favourably on it (although not necessarily essential. It was a real dilemma for me whether to do them, but damm pleased I did, it's opened up doors for me. When I say I have a passion for the science which underpins medicine, this is based on more than distance hazy memories of colouring in leaves in biology at School!!

just a tip: deffo check with your intended applications about the level you're choosing. And you might not need to do, biology, for example, if you covered enough components in your degree.

best of luck, and don't give up on this year just yet - it's not over til the fat lady sings, and believe me, I'm not uttering a note ....

I'm currently doing Chemistry AS and A2 level in a year evening classes (2 a week) at Hammersmith and some are doing Biology on the other 2 evenings a week - it's certainly possible and results so far suggests A grades are obtainable.

But check you need Biology - a lot of 5 years course actually only require Chemistry A Level (at A grade) and don't mind about the other A levels.

Hi, i am 19 now and recently had to do both AS and A level chemistry in one year due to extenuating circumstances. Getting an A in both is highly possible but alot of hardwork has to be put in. I spent nearly all my free time studying chemistry and my other subjects. It all comes down to time and determination i suppose. Good luck with doing both and consider OCR for Chemistry. I found OCR pretty easy.

Im in a similar boat. Im a maths graduate and dont have either biology or chemistry a-level. The research ive done suggests Chemistry is far more important (as other people have been saying in this thread). I have no doubt that it's possible to get an A in a year, your capacity for learning after doing a degree is far greater than at 18.

The biggest challenge is actually being able to do the practical side of the course. The theory can be learnt from a text book but being able to do any lab work is a nightmare. Ive been in touch with my old school but there are insurance issues and the practicallities of setting up convenient times to go in are annoying when you have a full time job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast