Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Liverpool GEP Medicine for '10 entry

Hi all,

The Liverpool forum seems a bit quiet so I thought I'd start a new thread in relation to this course.

So far I have chosen 3 GEP courses for my 2010 entry however my fourth is still undecided.

Since GEP courses seem to be on the whole more competitive I was swaying toward putting down a 5 year course to increase my chances of getting an offer, however I'm now of the opinion that I would prefer to just reapply the following year if I was unsuccessful.

For one reason or another I have whittled down the 4 year courses to Liverpool and Southampton for this final choice and I'm looking to get some opinions either from fellow applicants or current students on what they have to say about the city (I went there when I was about 10 but all I remember is the Beatles museum), the uni, the med school and the course...anything you have to say would be helpful.

Many thanks

PS - is it highly competitive?

short answer yes, it's a medicine degree.

Yes it is very competitive, I know several graduates on the five year course because the four year course is very tough to get on to.
    Dr. Batman

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    Yes it is very competitive, I know several graduates on the five year course because the four year course is very tough to get on to.
    Did the grads who you know get rejected on the 4 year course and were then offered a place on the 5 year course? Or were they rejected and applied for the 5 year course the following year?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by searabia View Post
    Did the grads who you know get rejected on the 4 year course and were then offered a place on the 5 year course? Or were they rejected and applied for the 5 year course the following year?

Thanks!
    When I contacted Liverpool's admissions team I was told that if you want to be considered for the 4 and 5 year courses then you need to apply to both. They don't automatically consider rejects from the 4 year for the 5 year (unlike KCL who do, if you are rejected after interview for the 4 year course).

I went to the Liverpool open day in 2008 and the statistics we were given were:

Normal (5 year) route - chance of getting in approximately 1 in 9

Graduate (4 year) route - chance of getting in approximately 1 in 16

The reason is that there are far fewer places on the 4 year course than on the 5 year.

I have no idea about the Southampton one though and I can't really comment on Liverpool as a city / university much either since I'm at Lancaster!

Well it is competitive yes. You only have to read the forums to guess that much. Because it was so competitive I didn't apply to 4 year courses. I figured I wasn't clever enough. I got in to Liverpool on the 5 year course and then they called me up and offered me a place on the 4 year course. What I am trying to say is that while grad entry courses are competitive they are certainly not impossible to get on to.

As for liverpool the city, I love it and am pleased I came here. As for the medical school, they are disorganised, but I have friends on grad entry courses around the UK and it seems that being disorganised is normal. The first year is really hard because you're juggling two years and have very little guidance on what you actually need to know. But then you get in to second year (third year of the five year course) and it's really bloody lovely, you still have very little guidance on what you need to know, but you have so much more time to learn the stuff that it matters less. On reflection, I think while we are hideously underprepared at the time, throwing us in to hospitals before christmas of first year is a good thing. One of my friends who went to Birmingham is only just getting to see patients now (in her second year of a 4 year course) and she really struggled in her first year because she said the lack of patient contact made it hard to stay focused.

Right, hospital time... xxx
    Liverpool GEP 2007

Derriford Hospital FY1

I have got a place on the graduate entry course! don't think its just a case of being clever! As they say,
    they accept people with 3Bs at A-level so it isn't all about academic ability! i think, for graduate entry they
    are looking for candidates to have gained extensive experience in healthcare demonstrating real
    commitment and showing real insight into what is involved in becoming and being a doctor! Anyone else
    that has a place?

Quote Originally Posted by mnpo5ag2 View Post
    I have got a place on the graduate entry course! don't think its just a case of being clever! As they say,
    they accept people with 3Bs at A-level so it isn't all about academic ability! i think, for graduate entry they
    are looking for candidates to have gained extensive experience in healthcare demonstrating real
    commitment and showing real insight into what is involved in becoming and being a doctor! Anyone else
    that has a place?
    I have a place on the graduate entry course as well. I am so excited about starting. What are you doing about accommodation? Does anyone have any suggestions on the best accommodation for first year grad medics?

I also have a place for the graduate entry course.

Quote Originally Posted by r.harrison View Post
    I have a place on the graduate entry course as well. I am so excited about starting. What are you doing about accommodation? Does anyone have any suggestions on the best accommodation for first year grad medics?
    I rang accommodation services at liverpool to find out about this the other day! They said they reserve rooms at a place called 'Prospect Point' for fasttrack med students. But looking on the website it looks quite expensive, 88.06pw!? I'm thinking it might be better to try organise a group of people to get a place together somewhere?! Been told by some friends in liverpool that Smithdown Rd/Wavertree is a good place to live. Cheap and lots of students around, can anyone currently at liverpool confirm this?

pm me if anyone is thinking similar, or contact me on fb, i've set up a group 'Graduate Medicine Liverpool '10' for us!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast