Canadian Applying to Med School for 2013-2014 (hopefully)

Hi people,

I'm a Canadian currently in Grade 12 looking to apply to different UK medical schools (not sure which ones).

I need a few clarifications:

- First, is it right that I should apply to (how many?) universities through USAC by 15 October 2013?

- Is the current application deadline (for 15 October 2013) for the study year of Fall 2014 - Summer 2015? If so, can I still apply for the study year of Fall 2013 - Summer 2014

- And finally, are there any medical schools that start in perhaps February 2014 for the A100 programme?

Thanks so much!

Hi, I'll address your points in the order you have stated them.

In the UK, you can apply for 4 medical schools through UCAS (UCAS allows you to apply to 5 university degree programs, but if you try to add 5 medical degrees it wont let you submit it - just like if you try to apply to both Oxford and Cambridge for an undergraduate degree). The deadline for submitting your application is the 15th of October - which is the same every year.

The deadline coming up (15/10/2013) is for entry onto a degree starting September/October time (slight differences for each individual course) in 2014. There is the option to defer a year (entering in 2015), although most medical schools don't really like students doing this.

All medical courses start September/October time - as is the case with the vast majority of university programs in the UK.

I hope this helps.
    Warwick 1st Year Student - Graduating 2017

2013 GEP

UKCAT: 702.5 (640, 760, 670, 740)
    Warwick: Waitlist (17/1 - Interview offered on 7/2)...Interview (14/2)... Offer Waitlist (21/3)...Offer! (29/4)

Hi Diomedes92,

Thank you for your informative reply.

Do you know if any of the UK medical schools still accept direct applications for a placement in September 2013?

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Yozer34 View Post
    Do you know if any of the UK medical schools still accept direct applications for a placement in September 2013?
    Unfortunately not. Like I said the deadline is the 15th of October, and if a medical school receives an application after that date you get automatically rejected - mainly because each course has ~250 places and receive ~2500 applications.

The UCAS Apply service for 2014 entry opens sometime in the summer, but there is no rush to fill out your application as long as it is sent before the 15th of October (preferably a few days in advance).

The other thing to take note of is entry exams - the UKCAT is the main one, but depending on where you apply you may need to sit the BMAT (both of which you can look up) - that's assuming you're applying to the standard undergraduate course (usually coded A100). I'm relatively sure you can do the tests outside the UK (so you could do them in Canada), but once you've looked into it with any kind of attention you will know more about that than I do.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

2013 GEP

Warwick: Waitlist (17/1 - Interview offered on 7/2)...Interview (14/2)... Offer Waitlist (21/3)...Offer! (29/4)

Quote Originally Posted by Diomedes92 View Post
    Unfortunately not. Like I said the deadline is the 15th of October, and if a medical school receives an application after that date you get automatically rejected - mainly because each course has ~250 places and receive ~2500 applications.

The UCAS Apply service for 2014 entry opens sometime in the summer, but there is no rush to fill out your application as long as it is sent before the 15th of October (preferably a few days in advance).

The other thing to take note of is entry exams - the UKCAT is the main one, but depending on where you apply you may need to sit the BMAT (both of which you can look up) - that's assuming you're applying to the standard undergraduate course (usually coded A100). I'm relatively sure you can do the tests outside the UK (so you could do them in Canada), but once you've looked into it with any kind of attention you will know more about that than I do.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
    Again, thanks very much.

After realizing that there's really no way of studying this year, I've looked up the Irish medical schools through the Atlantic Bridge (and I'm not sure if the deadline has passed for that, too). Do you know if these schools are generally the same as the UK medical schools, in terms of recognition in what not?

Regards.

I'd be lying if I said I knew anything about them at all...

I did a quick search on Google and found a lot of information about Irish Medical schools, but since I don't know too much about them or how relevant it is to you I wont recite it.

Take a look in the Irish med school section of NMM, I'm sure they'll be more knowledgeable on the subject.

2013 GEP

Alright, well thanks once again for helping me, I really appreciate it.

Cheers.

In the past St. Andrew's accepted direct applications from non-EU applicants up to some date in the Spring for the following September.

A bit late for this response to you now, I see!