n.k

Canadian Student Applying in the UK (Medicine)

Hi,

I am a 3rd year undergrad student at McMaster University. I have been thinking a lot about applying to medical school in the UK. I understand that they accept students right out of high school but my problem is that I am almost done 3 years of undergrad and my university cGPA is not good at all, I am currently sitting at a 2.6 GPA. However, my high school marks are a lot better (with an average of 85%), so I was wondering, since I am going to apply this summer (not completely sure to which universities; one of them is likely going to be Aberdeen University) will they be looking at my university marks or is sending in a high school transcript good enough? Because I don't want to trump my chances of acceptance because of my current undergrad marks as those are a result of circumstantial and personal stress. Should I be worried about not getting acceptance BECAUSE of my undergrad marks? Should I not send in my university transcript at all so they don't base their decision on those marks? Or will that be considered dishonesty?

Because I really want this and I plan on staying in the UK post-graduation. In fact I plan on moving there no matter where I finish my studies. Also, I will be sitting the UKCATs this summer and I am currently volunteering at the hospital and plan to do so until August 2014. And I can also get references from some of my professors here at McMaster. PS. How many references do they require? or is it different from school to school?

n.k
    Also, I will be applying as a mature student, if that makes any difference.

I wouldn't stress too much, academic criteria for overseas students are a bit more relaxed as the UK universities are desperate to get their hands on the high fees you will be paying.

Personally I would just look at what academic information they ask for on your application and if they don't specifically mention the undergrad information then don't send it. However they will probably want to know what you have been doing since leaving school and then you will have to tell them you are at university and then they may ask for your marks.

Quote Originally Posted by adam89 View Post
    I wouldn't stress too much, academic criteria for overseas students are a bit more relaxed as the UK universities are desperate to get their hands on the high fees you will be paying.

Personally I would just look at what academic information they ask for on your application and if they don't specifically mention the undergrad information then don't send it. However they will probably want to know what you have been doing since leaving school and then you will have to tell them you are at university and then they may ask for your marks.
    Adam89 is right for most subjects but wrong for medicine. There are strict quotas on international students for medicine. As a result international admit rates are LOWER than home admit rates. This is because the UK is a popular option for many from Singapore, Malaysia, Middle East and India.

As a Canadian studying medicine in the UK OP, your stats don't cut it. 2.6 GPA rules you out immediately from consideration. Your 85 average in high school also isn't good enough.

For a Canadian high school student to get into the UK for medicine you need a 93+ average at least along with ECs that are medically related and a strong UKCAT/BMAT score.

For a Canadian university student the UK is about as hard to get into as a Canadian medical school meaning 3.7 GPA+ maybe 3.6 GPA.

Thank you CanadaMed108 for your clear information.