Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wink Med. Schools Friendly to International Students

As the title indicates, I am wondering which UK med. schools are receptive to qualified international students who are not 'charity cases.'

I am well aware that the number of international spots is limited and that many of the spots are given to students that come from countries with 'inadequate medical facilities,' but I wasn't, until recently, aware that some medical schools only give international spots to students from countries with 'inadequate medical facilities.'

One such school is Manchester. I politely asked 'admissions' a question and was tersely informed that all international spots are for students who come from countries 'with inadequate medical facilities.'

So, are there any international students from first world countries that gained admittance to a UK medical school? Any North Americans? Which schools?

I'm Canadian, got offers from King's College London, Dundee, Leicester and Newcastle.
    KCL undergraduate entry 2010

Hi, was just wondering what was your Ukcat score to get in? Also, how did you find the interview at King's College?

Quote Originally Posted by J_Wong View Post
    Hi, was just wondering what was your Ukcat score to get in? Also, how did you find the interview at King's College?
    My score was 695 (720, 720, 630, 710). My King's interview was definitely the toughest of the four, though I felt the most prepared as I had already had two interviews. It was quite nerve-wracking, but my interviewers were nicer than I was expecting. Prepare and practice well before and you should be fine.

Hi,

I'm Canadian as well. Graduated from Kings in 2008. I would highly recommend Kings for med school.

I'm currently a radiology registrar at Barts and the London. Barts also accepts international students and is a solid medical school.

Jane

Quote Originally Posted by Laura_K View Post
    I'm Canadian, got offers from King's College London, Dundee, Leicester and Newcastle.
    Hi Laura,
    I'm a 3rd year overseas medic right now, also from BC. What courses did you take in grades 11 and 12 and if you don't mind, what were your marks/average? I'm just curious to see if expectations have raised after 2 years.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by bruised_apple View Post
    Hi Laura,
    I'm a 3rd year overseas medic right now, also from BC. What courses did you take in grades 11 and 12 and if you don't mind, what were your marks/average? I'm just curious to see if expectations have raised after 2 years.

Cheers
    Hahaha, let's see if I remember. I took Chemistry, Biology, Physics, English, French, Religion (catholic school-required) both years. In Gr 11 I also took Math 12 and Socials and in Gr 12 I took Calculus. Can't remember my exact averages for everything, especially Gr 11, but I know I got 96% in Bio, 97% in Physics and 93% in Chem in Gr 12 and my overall average was around 95, give or take a couple percent. As far as I remember, 3 of my offers were conditional on me getting above 80% average, including Bio and Chem and King's was 90%. Though my marks were high, keep in mind they've done away almost completely with Provincial exams, except in English.
    What school are you at?

Quote Originally Posted by Laura_K View Post
    Hahaha, let's see if I remember. I took Chemistry, Biology, Physics, English, French, Religion (catholic school-required) both years. In Gr 11 I also took Math 12 and Socials and in Gr 12 I took Calculus. Can't remember my exact averages for everything, especially Gr 11, but I know I got 96% in Bio, 97% in Physics and 93% in Chem in Gr 12 and my overall average was around 95, give or take a couple percent. As far as I remember, 3 of my offers were conditional on me getting above 80% average, including Bio and Chem and King's was 90%. Though my marks were high, keep in mind they've done away almost completely with Provincial exams, except in English.
    What school are you at?
    i'm at st andrews at the moment, going to edinburgh next year.
    Catholic school, did you go to LFA?

To my fellow Canadians,

Do you know how difficult it is to get back into Canada once you are a fully qualified doc? I also heard that Canada makes all international students do a Canadian residency training, even if you have done it in the UK before hand..true?! What are your plans once you graduate med school??

Hello guys,

I'm a medschool-hopeful grade 11 student from Richmond Hill, Ontario! I'm going to sit my UKCAT test on August 29th... I'm actually very anxious about it, as I completely bomb the AR sections when I practice. The other sections are medicore except my DA section, which is awesome (getting perfect every time i do the practice tests)

I'm looking into King's College London, University of St. Andrews, University of Southampton, and Cardiff.

Do you know whether they are friendly with international students who are NOT A-Level or IB? Thank you very much!

Much love,
    doctork2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast