Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    oo.. just wondering..why do so many people who have left HK want to go back to HK to study medicine? anyway also just wondering.. why and when did u guys go overseas? were u all born there? or migrated there when u were young?

I am staying the UK because it is the best place to study Medicine. Hong Kong's teaching style doesn't really suit me, it is a bit too factual and not enough interpersonal skills.
    Last edited by Lennon; 28-04-2005 at 09:59 PM.
    "there are no problems, only solutions'' - John Lennon

Hey,

I'm from Hong Kong, currently in lower 6th (year 12). And ash4, I'm from ESF too woot! Island School, how about u?

Anyways, got 5A* 5A for GCSEs, and straight As so far in my AS level modules. Also done 8 weeks medical research on tumours at the HKU Faculty of Medicine and working for another 8 weeks this summer at Queen Mary Hospital.

Planning to apply to oxford and imperial med school next year. I hear it's easier for international students to get in because some uni's have a government imposed quota especially for medicine. For Oxford, it's a quota of 7 students, meaning they have to at least accept minimum 7 med students a year.

I have a feeling it's got to do with the fact that medicine costs so much to teach and we international students bring in 2 or 3 times as much money as the local UK'ers. -_-

"Planning to apply to oxford and imperial med school next year. "

You people not very suprisingly, always go for the well-knowns, well, I was like you once- all planning to go to the so-called tops eg Imperial, and I got all consumed into this false sense of pride of this so-called good repuation uni.

But now after my wonderful rejection from Imperial, it had occured to me, none of this matters. Offers, offers, offers, who cares, they mean nothing, what matters is you. I am not saying don't go to these wonderful uni, cos they are surely great, I would love to go there. I am not telling you to lose sense of acheiving, but bear in mind your value.

For you people, who are so looking forward in getting into these Oxbridge or Imperial I wish you good luck. I have in good faith you guys will get in, cos you all are top people.

As for me, I was just inches away from this false bubble if I were accepted by Imperial. So here, I thank Imperial for rejecting me, cos it had taught so much.

"Try not to be a man of success but try to be a man of value."

Lennon
    "there are no problems, only solutions'' - John Lennon

Hi I will be applying for admission in 2007 and i was born in the UK and now want to move back to HK to study because i'm really tired of England. I'm going to apply to universities in both the UK and HK (Oxford, Imperial, Newcastle and Sheffield and HKU) I want to do this becuase i want to live in HK but i was wondering what anybody's thoughts are? Or I was thinking of maybe doing my first 3 years here in the UK and then going to HK for the last 2 years? any ideas or comments?

And just as a comment to those who are applying to the UK i'd just like to say I really want to get away from England and i don't know why people would want to move away from HK becuase cultural immigration is really hard if you havent grown up here - my parents have lived here for 25 years and they still havent got the cultural thing- and HK is soo much nicer - but maybe im just thinking in terms of "the grass is always greener on the other side"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123