Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile is it easier to get into medical school as a foreign student or a home student?

i think the questions self explanatory
    love u all
    xx

Home students v.s. foreign sttudent

Sometimes it is better to get in as a foreign student because they might know more herbal remedies than an average home student. But on the otherhand it might be easier for the home student because of homeland security.

Noodly Doctory Moderator Spencer Wells's Avatar
    You're assuming a lot saying that foreign students will know more about herbal remedies, and when you make assumptions people die . Many if not most foreign students studying in the West are from developed countries.

It is generally accepted that it is easier to get into med school (in the UK at least) as a home student, which makes sense. Med school curricula are designed to produce doctors that will treat the local population, and they recruit from the same population.
    Spencer Wells BSc(Hons) MBBS(UCL)
    Houseplant

Smile Thank You

Thank you for bringing that to my attention and i personally agree

Currently jus below ya nose, macca (hehehe.... ;) )
    Quote Originally Posted by isee
    Sometimes it is better to get in as a foreign student because they might know more herbal remedies than an average home student. But on the otherhand it might be easier for the home student because of homeland security.
    excellent post macca.
    which planet, again?
    "...reminds me of childhood memories,
    when
    Everything was as bright as the bluest skies.."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dqVDQ-lF4Q

although the general pattern is thus, its also clear that very few internationals come from poor backgrounds. i've met none so far, whereas i ave met a few ome med stoodents.
    i wuld azard a guess that its impossible to get into med skool as an international wiffout some seriously 'andy financial securities in life, which dont ave quite that parallel pattern when it comes to 'ome stoodents - its not quite that impossible at ome! wereas a well off internaional applicant wuld ave it a lot easier than a seriously financially challenged 'ome stodent.
    when

The UK government has a quota system for international students getting into a British medical school. Most medical schools have the quota of about 20-25 seats (only!) for international students. Given the large number of international applicants, you can see that the competition for getting in among int applicants (i'm one of em) is very, very fierce. So in this point of view I think it's tougher for int students to get in than home students.

(The number of home applicants is also very large but the applicants-to-seat ratio for international students is higher than for home students)

Cheers

yeah ta, the pattern is exactly that, we've said so, ta, but fanks for filling in the details (although i'm not entirely sure the quota is 20-25 for every med skool, mind?).
    its a lot to do wif the individuals you are comparing though, is the point i'm raising. there is no one typical international or ome stoodent.
    when

True, the quota differs at each medical school. Cam offers 20 places, Oxford's got 6 places (wtf!) and the other med schools I checked so far (includin da ones i applied too) offer 25. The number might vary, which doesn't matter. What matters is that the number is so small!!

True there is no 'typical' int sudent, but most of us got 8-12 A*'s at GCSEs, 4-5A's prediction at A Levels, killer UKCAT and BMAT scores...so that makes it quite difficult for us to get into! :-)

aye, so's everyone from certain kinds of backgrounds, no diff.

you mite want to tek not for instance that schemes for widening access to attract ome stoodents wiffout the planks to stand on that traditional better off applicants get often offer 5-10 places on courses.ANd there so few of them courses around! though the number of them is growing each year, thankfully.

Or that some universities only ave 5-10 places set aside for mature (non-grad) applicants on their courses.

both these groups wont be ave the opportunity to offer wat an international typically (as you pointed out) offers, so spare a fort for them.

in a sense, aint we all jus poor maccas lol?
    when

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast