Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MBBS @ Monash malaysia

Hey! Is anyone applying/applied to Monash Malaysia? Its a 5 yr course taught in english...guaranteed recognition in oz (if not recognised by this yr, students will b transferred to the melb course)....fees are 65k RM/yr. Very affordable, and living cost is sooo cheap!

If you are interested in doing medicine in malaysia, you should check out IMU ( international medical university). It has quite a number of partner university in the UK and Australia. I personally opted to study in the uk.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyboy1188
    Hey! Is anyone applying/applied to Monash Malaysia? Its a 5 yr course taught in english...guaranteed recognition in oz (if not recognised by this yr, students will b transferred to the melb course)....fees are 65k RM/yr. Very affordable, and living cost is sooo cheap!
    i know that some medical councils in countries like Singapore do not recognise medical degrees done by twinning arrangement like the Monash M'sia MBBS programme.

i know this is a bit late, but anyway..
    to Carol: Monash Malaysia is not done by twinning arrangement. Basically you pay less for the program to be undertaken in Malaysia and you get the same degree as those who decided to do the whole 5 years in Australia. Since it's the same piece of paper, and Singapore recognises Monash Australia, i don't see why not Monash Malaysia.
    to luckyboy1188 aka Rebecca: fees are now increased to RM75,000 / year.. and Australian Medical Council recognition is pending til after visiting Malaysia in August and their AGM in November. enjoy the remaining 1 month of the holidays :-)
    Warning: thinking too much may lead to dwelling on the futility of existence..

not true!! monash degrees done partially in malaysia will bear on the certificate 'Monash Malaysia'!!!

i don't know where you heard it from (mind telling me?), but i'll have to reconfirm this with you later..coz we asked this question numerous times already and the program director assured us we at Monash Malaysia are getting the same curriculum (with some modifications to suit cultural needs), same degree, as those in Australia. It will bear 'Monash University' only on the piece of paper and nothing more. We were told the word 'Malaysia' won't be there and people won't know whether you did it in Australia or Malaysia unless they ask you..maybe what you are saying applies to other degree courses (which i doubt)..

i don't really get what you mean when you say "monash degrees done partially in malaysia will bear on the certificate...'Monash Malaysia'"..care to elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by garywkleong86
    i don't know where you heard it from (mind telling me?), but i'll have to reconfirm this with you later..coz we asked this question numerous times already and the program director assured us we at Monash Malaysia are getting the same curriculum (with some modifications to suit cultural needs), same degree, as those in Australia. It will bear 'Monash University' only on the piece of paper and nothing more. We were told the word 'Malaysia' won't be there and people won't know whether you did it in Australia or Malaysia unless they ask you..maybe what you are saying applies to other degree courses (which i doubt)..

i don't really get what you mean when you say "monash degrees done partially in malaysia will bear on the certificate...'Monash Malaysia'"..care to elaborate?
    well, if u r convinced there is no difference then i hav nothing to say, but please bear in mind that the clinical years (3,4,5) r very important in the medical training and it matters very much where u get the exposure.

please bear in mind that the clinical years (3,4,5) r very important in the medical training and it matters very much where u get the exposure.
    No offence (i do not intend to start a heated argument here), but i'm just wondering are you inferring that clinical training in Malaysia is inferior compared other places?

(correct me if i'm wrong in this case), in places like Australia and UK, med students usually have a tougher time chasing after patients to aid their learning because there are simply not enough patients to cater for all of them. Even if there are patients, they are usually reluctant to be interviewed (can't blame them for wanting privacy..they have autonomy)

Those in Monash Malaysia (so far there are 44 of us, to be gradually increased to 160) will have a busy 1000-bed hospital to roam around in. Hence, there are plenty of learning opportunities (paternalism is quite prevalent in Malaysia so patients are normally kind enough not to turn away med students who follow doctors around)..

We also get exposure to the Australian health system in Year 4 during clinical placements in Australia (best of both worlds through exchange) since they want us to be competent to also practise in Australia and New Zealand.
    Last edited by garywkleong86; 22-06-2006 at 08:37 AM.

how long to you practise in oz

how long to you practise in oz
    I don't understand your question.. but
    1. if you meant to ask how long am i going to be in Australia, then i would say 1 year (transferring back at the end of the year)..
    2. if you are asking how many more years i have til i graduate, it's 4 years. And we don't get to practise immediately in oz after graduating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast