student nurse to medical student?

Evening everyone,

I have just registered on here and was looking for some advice, hope I have come to the right place!

I am currently studying children's nursing and am in my second year, which I thoroughly enjoy. However, I am considering dropping out at the end of my second year to apply for medicine at Glasgow for 2012 entry. I enjoy caring for children in the medical environment but feel I would like the knowledge base of a medic. I have a real thirst for learning and think this would be a good career move, I wasn't sure if I would be capable/it was the right area at the time when I was applying for nursing but through this course and placments I feel it may well be. I think ideally I would like to work as a paediatrician of some description but this may change if through studying medicine I discovered something new.

I have a 2:1 arts degree from 2008 but no science highers (closest is statistics and psychology modules from 1st degree and the biology I have learned through nursing)so I would need to gain these in a year out while working to save pennies. I have emailed Glasgow Uni re entry requirements but no response so think I will call soon. I'm not too sure of how funding works, I didn't have a student loan last time round so I think I would be eligible for that, not sure if there is additional support out there for graduates into medicine, this is something I will have to investigate.

I'm 25 and would like to start a family eventually but I realise this won't be financially possible until after the 5 years and that depends on if I even get in and how many attempts it may take in addition to the ticking biological clock. Plus I'm not sure how my current uni and course would react to me dropping out in favour of medicine, would they give me a reference and then say I don't get in would take me back to do m final year in nursing. I'm not even sure how to approach them on this!

Just thinking things through. If anyone has any advice that would be great!!

Hi
    TBH, I wouldn't drop out if I were you. I'd finish your nursing degree. If you apply next year (2011 for 2012 entry) surely you would be near the end of your nursing degree at that time? Medicine is highly competitive and should you not get in then you will have quit your nursing for nothing. You have to sit the UKCAT and depending on your score will dictate somewhat where you can apply. Are you limiting yourself to Glasgow only? The UKCAT cut-off this year is 655 average but varies year on year.

You may get fees and loan for medicine if you have had no assistance from SAAS for arts degree and nursing but best to check with them.

As for your biological clock, don't fret too much about that at the moment as you are still young (I had my son at 41).

As for Highers, I'm not sure if you would have to sit them but admissions should clarify this for you. With them working on admissions etc for 2011, I would doubt you would receive a reply at the moment.

Good luck with everything whatever you decide.

E.

University of Glasgow
    3rd year Medicine MBChB 2011-2016

Hi,

As someone who has been in a similar situation as you, I would advise you to finish your children's nursing course- the uni's don't like to see you haven't finished something.
    I had wanted to do medicine from my first ever placement in Midwifery, but as you say you enjoy it, so it's best to continue. What's one more year, plus you will be able to work bank shifts as a paed nurse if you get your registration, and that could help finance you here and there through your medical degree.

I would tell you to apply in your final year, so that you might start straight away, so apply in Oct 2011 and you could potentially have a place for Sept 2012.

I also wouldn't worry about babies just yet, 25 is young and I can tell you from experience that most women who have careers are in their mid 30's when they decide the time is right. In saying that, I have a friend who is a medical student and has just had a little one... she had just finished 3rd year and will return to start 4th year in 2011. I understand it is something for female applicants to consider. I thought about and had a discussion with a former Reg I worked with and we decided that the best time after finished med school would probably be when an ST3, as by then you have secured your training post in whatever specialty you have chosen... but I always think way too far down the line, with my head in the clouds haha.
    BSc Midwifery - Distinction (p.1:1 Hons) Qualified Midwife 2010

I totally agree with the above 2 replys. Definately finish the Paeds Nursing! It would look really good on your application especially the fact that you love it and want to be a paediatrician, possibly. I know many people who have gone onto medicine straight from the Nursing degree. With starting a family, im in the same position. Im 26, my fiancee and I have decided to have the wedding and our first baby in 2011 before I start Medicine in 2012 (considering i get a place). I think we will try for a second baby after the GEP (4 year) has finished. Also with the BSc in Nursing you can enter the GEP which is 4 years =0)
    Good Luck
    x
    BSc(Hons) Biomedical Science, 2.1
    MSc Medical Microbiology

2012 entry:
    Kings GEP
    Barts GEP
    Imperial GEP
    Leicester GEP

UKCAT 2011:TBA