Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What else can you do with a Medicine degree except Medicine?

Hello there.

Now I'm not for one minute suggesting that I want to do something else with the Medicine degree. Medicine is my passion and that's why I'm going to medical school.

But I must admit I have my concerns with regards to the fact that every year according to statistics there will be 10,000 doctors who are left unemployed as they were unable to secure a training post. The option to go abroad exists however, I was wondering what other careers a Medicine degree could open doors towards?

I have heard that it is possible to work in "The City" with a medical degree and the degree would give an advantage when competing against graduates from top universities like Oxbridge and LSE?

If anyone could shed some light on this topic for me, I'd be extremely grateful.

Thank you.

The Fonz.

well i'd like to point you to a blog by a man called Hoover. His blog, www.medschoolhell.com, talks about his journey through the med school and into his own business based on medicine. His blog is funny and provides tip[s on how to make money out of medicine. It's a US blog but alot of the tips still apply.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'll have a read through that.

Noodly Doctory Moderator Spencer Wells's Avatar
    Allied to medicine there are things such as medical journalism and big pharma, but the skills developed during the medical degree can equally be applied to the business world.
    A medical degree shows that you can work and apply yourself, and employers love to see that. If you're worried about competing against graduates from the "big name" universities, you could always go there to study medicine, then whatever you decide to do with your medical degree, you'll look good.
    Spencer Wells BSc(Hons) MBBS(UCL)
    Houseplant

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Wells View Post
    Allied to medicine there are things such as medical journalism and big pharma, but the skills developed during the medical degree can equally be applied to the business world.
    A medical degree shows that you can work and apply yourself, and employers love to see that. If you're worried about competing against graduates from the "big name" universities, you could always go there to study medicine, then whatever you decide to do with your medical degree, you'll look good.

Well I'm going to PMS to study Medicine. I'm hoping the Exeter name might count for something in that respect.

This is just a guess... and a question too, I guess. You could go into research, or teaching...

Yeah i have had this thought myself --- i absolutely love cellular and molecular biology. Applying this to medicine really really appeals to me, but if i do want to continue studying/researching in this field, is research available for all science graduates, or are there posts which ONLY medical graduates can apply for?

Noodly Doctory Moderator Spencer Wells's Avatar
    I've never seen research posts advertised for ONLY medical graduates, but it certainly wouldn't hinder you if you had a medical degree on top of an academic PhD. Having a medical degree also makes it easier to get involved in clinical research (i.e. featuring patients), if that floats your boat, but it's not a necessity.
    Spencer Wells BSc(Hons) MBBS(UCL)
    Houseplant

I'm a soon to be Oxbridge graduate. All the big names in everything - consulting, investment banking, accounting, even law - want people with degrees in anything, good extracurrics and evidence of having applied oneself. More specifically, consultancies (all the NHS outsourcing) and drug companies love doctors. Oxbridge etc really doesn't get you as far as it used to except for the recruitment/contacts level - you don't get shooed in cos they "know your tutor" except for teaching positions at big boarding schools. Don't worry too much about the future, Fonzie... by the time you get there it will be different and a medical degree is as good as anything to be spending your time on.

Well....

I think the great thing about a Medicine degree is that it is transferable worldwide, and just because the NHS is making cut backs, it doesnt mean other governments are. The skills you learn during your training can be used for a whole range of jobs. One big industry is Sports. Unless the film Wall:e actually happens, people will be exercising for many years to come, and with exercise comes injury. There are thousands of Sports teams and clubs all over the World that require medics and doctors to treat athletes. From medicine it is only a short hop to physiotherapy and rehabilitation.

Just something to think about!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast