How do you REALLY improve your section 2 score?

After seeing my GAMSAT score (50 overall), I have decided this area needs a lot of work. What could I use to help improve my score? Has anyone used or read the AC Grayling book?

I'm assuming you're a science grad so I'll just state what I did. This was my first time taking the GAMSAT and I scored 72 in both s1/s2.
    As I was writing the section 2 essays I knew I could do better but the emotion of the day caused me to rush so I probably lost a few marks there, mostly for jumping around a little.

Anyway, it's really quite simple, and the GAMSAT guide says everything you need to do. Like most essays, a lot of marks will go towards structure, presentation and writing style. So have a set plan for every say, regardless of the topic. Introduction, Main Argument 1, For/Against, Main Argument 2, For/Against. Conclusion.

Compared to the essays I normally write these seemed more like waffle than 'Critically analyse...' or 'Critically assess...' so I threw in some 'philosophical' quotes, some from film, some from books.
    I tried to make my essays relevant so having a knowledge of the news is handy.

The point I'm trying to make is you don't need to be an essay writer as such, half the job is done just by ensuring you can write a basic essay format.
    Oh and little things that people forget are giving the essay a title, citing quotations and paragraphs. Basic stuff for more marks.

I hear that probably didnt help that I needed to spend a penny at the beginning of section 2 but I definitely will be taking those ideas on board for sept!

I didn't do as well this time around, but sitting it last September I managed to get 61 with the typical Griffith's structure that they give you in the guide, similar to what Supertramp said. Throw in a few real world examples in there as well, if you can. I think that's the difference between my March and September sittings, in that the latter used a lot of real world exampls to support my arguments, whereas the March sitting was nothing but waffle. I'm surprised I even got in the 50s as I literally paraphrased the same argument twice in both essays.

I think with written as with any other form of communication your confidence level will shine through, especially in a time pressured situation (and I'd call two essays one hour very pressured personally). I like writing but usually spend a lot more time picking my words. It didn't feel like it went too well for me in March but I ended up getting a pretty good grade, so I'd put it down to structure as the others have said and just ploughing ahead. Also plenty of practice under exam conditions.

After I bought the Griffiths book he kept on trying to sell his essay writing course, which is marked so you get feedback. Might be worth having a look at that if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabris View Post
    I didn't do as well this time around, but sitting it last September I managed to get 61 with the typical Griffith's structure that they give you in the guide, similar to what Supertramp said. Throw in a few real world examples in there as well, if you can. I think that's the difference between my March and September sittings, in that the latter used a lot of real world exampls to support my arguments, whereas the March sitting was nothing but waffle. I'm surprised I even got in the 50s as I literally paraphrased the same argument twice in both essays.
    The two essays are probably marked by different people so probably it doesn't matter if you used the same arguments in both! Personally I think the main thing to improving essay scores after you have decided on a good structure is to practice them a lot so you can knock them out on autopilot under time pressure/stress etc.

I'd agree with Sammb1, doing a course where you get the essays marked is worth doing, as he mentions the Griffiths Gamsat site does one & some of the other prep companies also.

Quote Originally Posted by Trepe View Post
    The two essays are probably marked by different people so probably it doesn't matter if you used the same arguments in both!
    Oh, I meant I used the same argument in two paragraphs in the same essay. For example, essay 1 was about government or whatever and in both of my arguments I piped on about the same thing; it was pretty bad.

Yea I got 65 just doing the same essay style for both. Each essay, just divide into three big paragraphs, first to assess the quote(s) [better to just choose one quote than more], second paragraph to sort of have a for and against, and then the final paragraph to form a conclusion/viewpoint. essay 1 should have examples but try to be objective, whereas essay 2 can be a bit more personally involved with words such as I, We... Make sure you use the full 5 minutes to plan the essay otherwise you can just keep writing (which is my usual problem).
    To practice before the test, a good way to choose topics is to check out AC Grayling's books, and even on Amazon they will display the content pages. I believe these headings, like education, power, happiness, the good life, wealth, are all good topics that turn up in essays as recurring themes. You dont have to read Grayling as you may end up taking his (usually not very contextual) arguments and the point is to be different.